Hopefully the strawberry picking pictures will post now.
I also wanted to share the following conversation that Simon had today with the man in the toystore. We went to buy a present for a party that Simon was going to and Simon and Eli each got a tiny bouncing ball. This conversation took place ENTIRELY in Hebrew.
Toystore Man (pointing to the little green ball): Is this for you?
Simon: No, it's for him (pointing to Eli and using the word for "he" instead of "him" but whatever)
Toystore Man: What is his name?
Simon: Eli.
Toystore Man: And what is your name?
Simon: Shimon. And also Simon (pronounced Si-MOAN).
Toystore Man: ah, Shimon in Hebrew and Si-MOAN in English.
Simon: No. Shimon and Si-MOAN in Hebrew. In English it is Simon (pronounced Simon, the normal American way).
He also asked for a playdate with his friend Ariel from school. He showed me which one was Ariel so that I could ask his mom if he could come over one day. I asked her and she said sure, he would love it so we are going to do it either later this week or next week. Should be interesting since Ariel doesn't speak a word of English. Just Hebrew and French. Maybe he can say a few words to my jerk of a landlord for me!
In Eli news, he is obsessed with Uri and only wants to go to Uri's house. I'm not sure if he likes Uri more or Tali more. Yesterday they all came over for dinner and when it was time for them to go, Eli insisted that he was going too. He actually followed them out the door and was halfway down the stairs with them and then had a huge fit when I told him he wasn't going. I only got him to stop crying and come with me by offering him gum.
Today, Tali asked me to pick up Uri and just wait outside with him because she was going to be about 5 minutes late. I took Uri and Eli and we were waiting outside Uri's building for Tali. When she came, Eli and I had this conversation:
Me: Ok Eli, let's go.
Eli: No. Eli going Uri's house.
Me: No, Uri isn't going to Uri's house either. He is going to get Boaz and we are going to get Simon.
Eli: No go get Simon.
Me: Don't you love Simon?
Eli: Eli no love Simon. Eli love Uri!
After Eli's music class today, we had a little while before picking up Simon at a birthay party, so we made a quick trip to the supermarket to get a few things. I was looking for couscous and I said to Eli "we need to find the couscous." Eli started singing "couscous where are you?????" very loudly. Then, when I found it, he held it in the cart and kept saying "couscous. zeh sheli (this is mine)." He totally has no idea what is English and what is Hebrew and he just uses them both interchangably. Last night he kept saying in the tub "Eli want it yellow [something]." We had no idea what he was saying, but it sounded like bus. Finally Simon realized and said "he is saying he wants the yellow COS!!" Cos is cup in Hebrew and he wanted the yellow cup that was in the tub. And today he told me "Uri have it tzahov (yellow) jacket." But if I ask him how to say "yellow" in Hebrew, he just looks at me quizically.
4 comments:
Why is Eli wearing pink pants?
Those strawberries look so yummy - I wish they were in season here! The kids are adorable :)
Where'd you go Strawberry picking? I want to go!
Just to answer Sarah's question and to clarify: Eli is NOT wearing pink pants! It's not Eli in that picture--it is Simon's friend Gila!!
Post a Comment