As long as jet-lag has me awake at 3:30 in the morning, I might as well try to catch up on the blog. I will just give highlights from each stop on our trip to make it easier and to see if I actually remember anything that we did.
So, first stop was Boston. We had a great couple of days before Rosh Hashana with Ducky and Papu. Each day started with Eli exercising with Ducky. On Thursday night, David and I went out with Farrah and Barry and while we were on our way home, we got a call from Ducky that we had to come home right away because Eli was hysterical and wouldn't let her go near him. As we pulled into the driveway, the Daubers were just arriving from NJ too. Eli's screaming had of course woken up Simon who was excited to see that Joshua had arrived. In all the chaos of dealing with Eli and unloading the car or whatever else was going on, we suddenly noticed noise coming from the den and discovered that Joshua and Simon had turned on the Wii and were playing very nicely together. At 11:00 at night.
On Friday, everyone had to be up bright and early because we were taking family pictures. Surprisingly, everyone cooperated fairly well and I can't wait to see how they came out!
Rosh Hashana started Friday night. It wasn't the best of holidays, if I am being honest. Of course it was nice to all be together, but we got the bad news that Uncle Alan was not doing well at all and right after the holiday, Ducky and Papu went down to Savannah.
We stayed in Boston for the week anyway and managed to entertain ourselves. Papu came back for one night and I took the boys to the airport to pick him up. They were at first a little wary of going to the airport because they didn't want to get on another plane, but when I explained that we were picking up Papu and not actually going anywhere ourselves, they felt better. Oh wait, that was me. They really couldn't care less how many planes they go on. They were happy to see Papu though and he actually agreed to sit in the backseat in between them the whole way home.
On Wednesday, we met up with Hillary, Andrew and Julia in the park. Simon and Andrew were happy to see each other. I'm not sure that they actually remembered each other, but within seconds they were wrestling on the ground so it was like not a day had passed.
Wednesday night, David left for Pittsburgh to go see Charles and Jen leaving the boys and me to fend for ourselves. On Thursday morning we went to Target with the explicit plan of just buying socks. $300+ later, we left the store with cart full of bags. Simon said "we forgot to only buy socks." We did buy hats and gloves because, as Simon said "it's way too cold to be outside here." It was close to 60 degrees. Simon is officially NOT a New Englander. (Although, by the end of our trip, when it was freezing in Toronto, he was insisting that he didn't need a coat).
In the afternoon, we went to the Children's Museum with Julia. I love that museum. I was dreading the dinner, bath, bed routine by myself so I took the kids out for pizza for dinner. And then, to stall further (and because Simon reminded me that I had promised him), we took a side trip to Magic Beans. And purchased nothing, I am proud to say. Probably the first time ever that I went into that store and left without buying anything. I love that place!!
Bath and bed went surprisingly easily. The kids LOVED using the big shower in the basement (sorry, I mean Lower Level). They called it a "shower party." After they were in bed, Yael came over and we watched the Grey's Anatomy season premiere together and then I tried to convince her to sleep over since I was scared to be in the house alone. If only my parents hadn't thrown out her toothbrush when they did the renovations, she might have stayed (seriously, she had a toothbrush in my bathroom since high school).
David came home Friday morning and then I spent 3 hours packing and then we stole my parents' car and drove to Teaneck.
No comments:
Post a Comment