I have a horrible fear of getting bad news on the phone. Once I was at the dentist and David called the office because I didn't answer my cell phone and had the receptionist get me...I was convinced that something terrible had happened and made Susan (my favorite hygienist ever!) come with me to the office to pick up the phone because I was so afraid. I don't even remember now what it was--I think Simon had a fever and had to be picked up and he just wanted to make sure I didn't go downtown to work without realizing that I had to pick him up. But anyway, it really freaked me out and I haven't forgotten it even though it was over 4 years ago!
So yesterday I was at work and went out of my office to get something and didn't take my cell phone with me. As I walked back in the door, my co-worker Nikki was answering the phone and I heard her say "oh hi David...yeah, she's right here...hold on" and then she said to me that David was on the phone and it was urgent. I went to her desk and took the phone and he said to me "I need you to be calm right now" which obviously made me very not calm!! I grabbed on to Nikki's hand and sat on the floor and braced myself for something terrible. "We got broken into" he said. I said "oh, that's it?" It took a few minutes for it to actually sink in that robbers had been inside my house touching all my stuff. I ran home and we called the police and surveyed the damage. Luckily all they stole was $60 in cash, 3 bottles of whiskey and a bottle of Prada cologne. Could have been much worse. They did take everything out of all the closets and make a huge mess, obviously looking for hidden cash. For once I'm glad we have no money!!!!
The police came and took a report and told us not to touch anything until the forensics guy could come and look for fingerprints. I really didn't want the kids to come home and see the mess. This all happened right at pick-up time so David had asked Debbie to get them both and take them to her house until we figured out what was going on. Eventually Simon ended up at Julia's to play with Boaz and David picked up Eli and took him to the mall while I waited and waited for the forensics guy to come. I ended up cleaning up the kids' rooms anyway because it was getting so late. He finally came and it was cool watching him dust for fingerprints, but he quickly determined that they had been wearing gloves and he wasn't going to be able to get any useful information. And that was the end of that.
I've mostly cleaned everything up. I'm proud of myself for actually sleeping last night and not being terrified. And proud as well that David just left to go play soccer and I agreed to stay here alone--actually, I suppose I should go lock the door!!!
So that's the excitement around here...
Brace Face
7 years ago
1 comment:
OMG. That is terrifying! Glad to hear that no one was hurt and that you are doing well in the aftermath.
Post a Comment