Wednesday, November 03, 2010

The Antithesis of Dr. Roth

I think our pediatrician here is the polar opposite of Dr. Roth, our pediatrician in Boston famous for her rigid rules. Yesterday, David and I went to meet with Dr. Hurwitz to talk about Eli's behavioral issues and what options we have for getting him evaluated and helped if need be. We mentioned in the conversation the fact that he wets his bed every single night, probably because we let him drink about 4 or 5 cups of milk before he goes to bed. Dr. Hurwitz said the same thing as Dr. Roth which was until he's 5, bed-wetting is not considered a problem. But he suggested that if we cut down on the milk, it may help. Obviously. The he suggested (here's where I think Dr. Roth would have a heart attack if she heard this) that we buy a bag of candy that is just for him and let him have one piece of candy before bed instead of milk. That sounded kind of absurd to me, but we tried it last night and guess what? He was perfectly dry!! He had one cup of milk and then his candy and that was it. When he asked for more milk, we explained that he had the candy instead and that he'd get another candy in the morning if he was dry. He was SO proud of himself this morning and we were proud of him too! Simon was less proud and more angry that he didn't get candy too.
We'll see how night #2 goes.

1 comment:

Charles said...

Man, I can't WAIT till Eli is old enough to get on the internet, Google himself, and freak out that his mom blogged about his bedwetting.

I guess it could be worse. You could have blogged about David's bedwetting. Yes, David, all 33-year-olds wear diapers. Of course they do.