Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Costumes




I am so far behind that I'm not even going to attempt to catch up. I'm sure nothing too exciting has been going on anyway.
This week (I'm not quite sure which day it actually is/was) is Yom HaMishpacha, Family Day. I have no idea what exactly that means, but the kids keep coming home with various family-related things and have been learning about different family members. Eli keeps saying something about "ema, eba, safta" (mom, dad, grandma). I told him his saftas are named Ducky and Savti and he said no. He gets that ema means Mommy though. It's too bad that he's figured that out because I loved it that he thought Tali's name was Ema since that's what he always hears Uri and Boaz call her. Eli also came home with a plastic glove with a different person on each finger and a song about the family members. Very cute. Simon had to bring a picture of the family to school and he also drew a picture of our family that is hanging up in his classroom. I saw that picture today and noticed that there is an extra person on the side. I asked him who that is and he said "oh, that. I made a mistake!" The people are all labeled, written by the teacher, but then Simon wrote above them, all in Hebrew. His Hebrew writing is not that great, but I'm still very impressed. Above Eli, he wrote "ach" (which means brother) very clearly. Also, the other day out of nowhere Simon said to me "what is a chatan?" I told him it means a groom, like at a wedding. He said "and what was your name before you got married?" I told him and then he said "you need to write that down on a piece of paper and I need to bring it to gan." I never know whether to trust what he tells me about what he has to do/bring for school, but I confirmed with a friend of mine and sure enough he was supposed to bring that in. I'm still not sure why.
Yesterday, Simon and Eli decided they wanted to dress up. Simon put on his Hot Wheels racer costume and Eli put on Simon's spiderman costume from last year. If I am lucky, these will be their Purim costumes saving me all the hassle of getting them something else . They decided to switch masks and be Hot Wheels Spiderman and Siderman Hot Wheels.
Simon had swimming yesterday as well. He is doing so well in just 3 lessons and I'm very proud of him! Later he went to a birthday party and I picked up him and Dalia after it was over In the car they had this conversation:
me: Dalia, what are you going to be for Purim?
Dalia: I don't want to say, it's going to be a surprise
Simon: Then I'm not going to tell you what I'm going to be. Anyway, I already know what you are going to be.
Dalia: What?
Simon: A princess!
Dalia: No, I'm not. But I know what you are going to be. Spiderman
Simon: No!
Dalia: Superman
Simon: No!
Dalia: Batman, then.
Simon: No! I'll tell you but then will you tell me what you will be?
Dalia: No.
At this point, we got to Dalia's house and she was getting out of the car...
Simon: I'm going to be a Hot Wheels racer!!
He just couldn't keep it to himself. She still didn't tell him what she's going to be. But I will laugh if she is a princess.
Tonight Simon had a party at school for Yom Hamishpacha and Rosh Chodesh Adar. There was a magician who now Simon wants to have for his birthday party. And then there was lots and lots of junk food, so of course he ate no dinner when we got home.
Eli had already eaten dinner and was already in bed when we got home. David reported that he was a very good boy. But not good enough to warrant getting a pet turtle. David and I stopped in the pet store on Friday to find out about turtles and the guy in the store told us that he doesn't carry them because some turtles have salmonella and if the kids touch it and then put their hands in their mouths it is bad. So the turtle has been ruled out. He suggested we get a parakeet, but we'd have to wait until after Passover when it is parakeet season (yes, apparently there is a such thing as parakeet season). I asked the boys if they want to get a bird and they both answered NO very emphatically. So I think we have been spared the whole pet ordeal which suits me fine. I didn't even like having fish. Even plants are a bit too much for me to take care of! Hence my famous comment that I once made to David "wow, it's so amazing that the orchid has lived so long without water." Yeah, David had been watering it.

No comments: