Thursday, July 09, 2009

Felafel and Other Random Things

When Eli wants to eat a waffle, he says "can I have felafel?" And when he sees marshmallows and he wants one, he says "can I have a felafel." I'm not sure if he even knows what felafel actually is, but Simon thinks it's hilarious.

Eli and I were looking at pictures on the computer today and we came across one of Madi. Eli said "oh, there is Madi. Ola Madi!" Impressed that he remembers that she speaks Spanish. He could identify most family members in pictures, but he did think Joshua was Boaz in 1 picture.

I caught Simon talking to himself in Hebrew. He was looking at the cover of a Hot Wheels movie and saying "zeh kol-kach muzar..." (meaning "that's so weird"). I asked him if he thinks in Hebrew and he said "no, but sometimes it just comes out by accident." I can't get over how much his Hebrew has improved and how much his confidence in his ability to speak it has improved. He switches almost effortlessly between the languages and speaks up just as loudly and clearly as the native Hebrew speakers. When he says something to me in Hebrew, he still often turns off the Israeli accent to make it easier for me to understand (those are his words). And then he corrects me when I say things wrong and he spent a good 10 minutes trying to teach me to make the correct "resh" sound which I totally can't for the life of me do!

Today Eli and I were reading the Airport book (I used to love reading this to Simon because he called it an "airporch"). Anyway, I asked Eli which plane he was going on and he pointed to one. Then I asked him where it was going and he said "going to BIIIIIIIIIIIIG 'merica." I asked who he was going to see there and he said "Papu." A few minutes later he said "and also Ducky."

This weekend we are heading up north with the Sachses since sadly they are going back to Baltimore in a few weeks. Should be fun and I will hopefully remember to take some pictures so I will have something to post!! Simon and I had this conversation about Asher's impending move:
Simon: Asher told me I could have some of his cars when he goes back to America.
Me: That's really nice of him. You know that he's going soon. Are you sad?
Simon: No. (suddenly looks a little panicked) He's coming back, right?
Me: Not really. They are moving, but we will see them when we go to America.
Simon: (now really panicked) but we don't know where they live!! how will we find them??
Me: Don't worry...we will call them and find out where they live and we will tell them how to get to Boston to see us when we are there!
Simon: Do I have to give him back his cars?

No comments: