Sunday, August 17, 2008

Birthday Fairy Brings Presents for Everyone!






Today is Eli's 2nd birthday and we wish a very happy one to our little Beeli, Cheeli, Beals, Bing-Bong, Boogerhead, Elijah Sydney Kirschenbutthole (that's Simon's personal favorite) and whatever other nicknames we call him! I'm not sure that he particularly cares that today is his birthday because if you ask him if it's his birthday he says "no." I'll get back to his birthday in a minute, first I have some things to say about Shabbat.
For some reason I thought it would be a great idea to have lots of company! We had the Simons (who have 4 kids), the Frieds (3 kids) and the Saitowitzes (2 kids) for lunch. Including us, that was 8 adults and 11 kids. It had potential for disaster, but was actually really nice and the kids all played well enough together that the adults could sit at the table and have a conversation. All as going great until Tzofiya Simon (she's 1 1/2, I think) somehow got hold of a glass and dropped it and it broke cutting her thumb in the process. It was bleeding a lot and didn't seem to be stopping so there was concern that she might need stitches. There was much discussion about where to go and how to get there and in the end, we gave them our car keys and they went to this woman Fiona who is a doctor and who was rumored to keep skin glue at her house for situations just like this! She doesn't live far from us, but they drove in case she wasn't there because then they were going to have to go to the hospital in Kfar Saba. They asked if they could leave their other kids here and of course I said yes, but then was relieved when they decided to take Yossi, the 2 year old, with them, just leaving their other girls who are 7 and 5. They were perfectly well-behaved and the 5 year old, Elana, is absolutely hilarious. She conned David into giving her so much candy and she told us all about their new house that they are moving to in a couple of weeks. In the end, Fiona was home and was able to stop the bleeding and glue up Tzofiya's thumb so they weren't gone all that long. By the time everyone left it was almost 4 and the apartment looked like a hurricane had hit it. We left the mess and we all took naps until 6:30.
After Shabbos, David went to IKEA to finally get us a bed. We've been talking about buying a bed for about a year, since shortly after we got here and bought a mattress but not a bed! I kept going to IKEA and then not being able to decide what to get. Then we tried to go to Tel Aviv where we were told it would be cheaper--I went back again on Friday and found something that I liked, but between delivery and paying extra for the size that I needed, it was going to be more expensive than IKEA and was going to take a week and a half to be delivered, so I decided not to do it. David's trip was successful and he came home with a bed that we put together without getting into even one fight! Simon woke up in the middle of the night and came to our room and didn't even notice that there was a bed.
I had told Simon that the birthday fairy was coming to bring presents for Eli and I said that the birthday fairy also usually brings presents for the brother of the birthday boy. He was very excited about that and was thrilled to see the Hot Wheels Trick Track that the birthday fairy left for him this morning. Eli was very excited about his presents as well. He scored a play kitchen, a lego car set, a 3-D Playmobil farm puzzle-thing, and a stroller. I know the kitchen and the stroller sound kind of girl-y but he loves them. He was very busy in his kitchen and then he came to find me and said "Mommy...come, eat!" He made me breakfast.
The plan for the day was to go with Tali and her boys to the gymboree in Pardessiya in the morning. We were on our way there when suddenly Simon said "I don't feel very well" and then he threw up everywhere. I was driving on the highway so there wasn't anything I could do other than hand him a bottle of water. I said we would turn around at the next exit and go home, but he said "no, I'm ok, I want to go to the gymboree." We stopped at a gas station so I could clean him up a little and get him some juice to drink and he said he was ok, so we kept going. I bought him some new clothes so that he wouldn't smell like vomit and we went to the gymboree. It was SO crowded that we ended up not even going in. Instead, we all went to a little mall somewhere in between Pardessiya and Ra'anana. It had a little tiny play area and the kids were happy to just play there.
We hung out for a while and then came home. I thought Simon should sleep but he said he was feeling better and didn't want to sleep. Eli took a nice long nap and then when he woke up we all talked to Ducky and Papu on Skype and then it was time for Eli's birthday party. It was a small party--just us, the Nussbaums, the Epsteins and the Cohens. The kids all had a good time and Eli got a spiderman backpack with a pully thing which was exactly what he wanted (he always plays with Boaz's at their house) as well as a Spiderman scooter which Simon saw and said "I think this is supposed to be for me." We put on music to play freeze-dance with the kids, but it didn't really work so well. Eli and Simon had fun dancing with Maya and Orli. Eli and Orli must have done a lot of dancing at Bettina's because they immediately grabbed each others hands and danced together. It was so cute!
By the time everyone left, it was late so the kids had a quick bath and went to bed. David had just gone to get Eli more milk when I heard Simon kind of whimpering in his room. I knew what was about to happen but couldn't quite get there in time...vomit everywhere, of course!! Because we can't go too long without someone in this family throwing up!!! Hopefully he'll be ok tomorrow because we are supposed to go swimming in the morning.

No comments: