Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Summer Draws to a Close








The last week of summer has flown by. It was really my only week of full-time Mommy-duty since the kids didn't have any school or camp and neither did I. Luckily, I still had Marcia's help or I'm not sure how I would have survived!! I don't think mothers and children are cut out to spend 24 hours a day together 7 days a week. But we did have fun week. I think I last wrote about last Monday, so now I'll catch up from Tuesday.
On Tuesday morning we went to the Spiderman park with Andi and her kids. Unfortunately, the water part was not set up, so there wasn't too much to do and it was BOILING hot inside. Ma'ayan and Idan had had it after about 1/2 an hour so they ended up leaving, but my crazy kids decided that they wanted to stay for a lot longer. They actually had a great time and I just tried to stand in front of the big fan that was spritzing cold water as much as possible. Simon and Eli went on the little train ride together. I was so proud of Eli for going without me (last time we were there, he refused) and so proud of Simon for taking such good care of him. They were sitting in front and everytime it went around past me, I could see Simon leaning over telling things to Eli. So cute. Simon also went on the big trampoline a couple of times and proved how un-Israeli he is by letting other kids cut in front of him in line. I got fed up so I opened my big mouth and had a fight with another mom, but really her kid was not there before Simon and he had been waiting so patiently (although I'm sure he wouldn't have noticed or cared if he had to wait for one more person, but it was the principle of it).
When we got home, Eli napped for over 4 hours from all the excitement and jumping on the bouncy things. After he woke up, it was actually really nice out, so we took a walk towards David's office to pick him up. David was in a meeting and wasn't ready to leave, so the boys and I did some shopping at Shilav and at the toystore because we had to get a present for Kovi (Yishai's brother) whose birthday party we were going to on Wednesday. He turned 7 and apparently he told his mom that he wanted to invite his whole class and Simon to his party!
Wednesday morning we went to the birthday party which was a magician and was fun. Eli got a little antsy so I took him upstairs to play in Yishai's room and then he went back down for the pizza and cake.
At some point during the week, Simon and I had the following conversation:
Simon: I'm going to teach you a game that I learned at SuperStar Boy Camp. I will go first. You say (this is in a sing-songy tone) 'Everybody sit on the salad' or something else funny like that.
Me: Ok, my turn--everybody stick out your tongue.
Simon: that isn't funny
Me: Ok, I have another one--everybody poop in your pants
Simon (with a look of disdain on his face): that's just weird.
On Wednesday afternoon Marcia came and while she stayed with Eli I took Simon out to buy a new backpack for school. We went to the mall and had to look at every single backpack and he finally chose a Batman one. We also went to Home Center because I'm looking for a slipcover to cover my stupid ripped couch that I hate and the only one they had was really ugly and Simon said "that looks like it's for a grandma." A grandma with very bad taste.
On Thursday morning we left bright and early and went to the Monkey Park near Modi'in with Andi and kids and Lauren and kids. It was HOT!! But it kept the kids occupied even though we sort of rushed through the monkey part to get to the end where the water activities were. Of course none of the kids were even interested in the water!! When we were getting ready to go, Simon asked me for a drink of cold water. I handed him his water bottle and he said "but this is really warm and I really need cold water." I was loading up the stroller and dealing with Eli so I handed him 10 shekels and pointed to the kiosk and said go there and ask the man behind the counter for "bakbuk mayim" (that means a bottle of water). He was SO proud of himself for getting the water and the change all by himself. I couldn't hear his conversation with the guy, but I could see him and it was just so cute!! When David asked him later what he did that day he said "I bought water and got 4 more shekels back."
Friday was Marcia's last Friday with the boys since they will both be in gan on Fridays now. She took them to Park Ra'anana, but then sadly their trip got cut short because Simon got bitten by something and his thumb was getting very swollen. She called me to come get them and we gave him benedryl and put cream on it and he was fine. Both boys brought all their bedding out to the living room for some cuddling, which is a new favorite pasttime of theirs.
We had a very quiet dinner Friday night and went to bed early. For lunch on Shabbos the Dicksons came over--we had split the food and had a very relaxed and lazy lunch. Dalia really wanted to play dress-up so David dressed her up in my clothes since we dont' have any dress-up things. Dalia (she's 4) suggested to me (in her very proper British accent) that I should get dress-up clothes for in case girls come over to play. Princess costumes she thought would be a good choice.
After lunch, David took the kids back to the Dicksons' house with them and I took a nice nap. I am totally guilting David into letting me nap because in 2 weeks I am taking the kids to America and he is getting a 2 week "vacation" before he joins us. I will milk this for all it is worth!!!!
This morning, Simon was supposed to go to Boaz's house while I took Eli to his "orientation" at Gan Frieda. While the kids were having breakfast, David was trying to take a toy out of its package for Eli and he managed to stab himself in the hand. It was really bad and he needed to go to the hospital. I kept it together although I was terrified that he was going to pass out or worse, throw up!! I called Tali (my lifesaver) and she came right over and told us where the hospital is and said she would deal with the kids and we should go. She finished their breakfast, got them dressed, brushed their teeth and took Simon to her house and then brought Eli with her and Uri to Frieda's. She said Eli did great and later he showed me a picture he made and he said "Uri, Eli, Tali" because they all made it together. Tali had to leave at 10:15 so I called Marcia from the hospital and she picked up the boys at Tali's and then they slowly made their way home and got here just after David and I got back. The hospital experience was not so bad. It's only about 10 minutes from here in Kfar Saba and it was very clean and seemed to run very efficiently. We didn't have to wait too long and David got 2 stitches and a whole lot of painkillers. And they didn't arrest me when the nurse asked David what happened and he pointed to me and said "she stabbed me." Poor David--this was not a fun way to spend his birthday!! When we got home, he went right to bed and stayed there for most of the day.
Eli kept going to the door of David's room and saying "Daddy sleeping. Daddy ouch. Daddy frow up." He seemed to be pretty worried, so finally I let him go in and check on David. After that he was willing to go take a nap.
At 4, I took Simon to his orientation at his new gan. I was surprised when the teacher asked him his name and he said "Shimon." I had showed him that it said "Shimon" on his cubby but I told him that we can tell the teacher that he wants to be Simon and she can change it but he said he wants to be Shimon at school. We'll see how long that lasts. I told the teacher that we call him Simon and she said she'll just follow his lead. Before we left to go to the gan, Simon really wanted to take his new bag. I told him we weren't going to bring it because they were going to tell us today what we needed to bring in it tomorrow. He said "I think they will probably say I need to bring a computer." They didn't, but there is a computer in the classroom so he was excited about that. He said he liked it there so we'll see how it goes tomorrow. At least he has Chaim with him and Dalia Dickson so he should be ok. I don't know when he got so big that he is suddenly in Pre-K, or Trom Chova as it is called here.
When we got home, David was feeling a bit better so we went to La Trattoria for a birthday and end-of-summer dinner. I'm excited for the kids to start school but I'm not looking forward to making 2 lunches every day. Especially because they don't like to eat the same things and I actually have no idea what Eli eats because he changes his mind every day about what he likes and what he looks at and says "ewwwww."
Last thing, ever since yesterday, Eli has been walking around singing to himself "tuna tuna tuna tuna tuna." It's bizarre and cute all at the same time. Sometimes it becomes a bit more a drawn out "tuuuuuuna." No idea where it's coming from!!

No comments: