Sunday, November 09, 2008

Time Flies

I guess we're having fun because time keeps going by and I keep forgetting to update the blog. Remember when I used to write every day?? Apparently not working is keeping me very busy.
This past week I learned the hard way that Simon isn't allowed to bring snack/junk food to school. One day the week before, when I picked him up, he told me "the girls took my bisli" and then explained that a girl asked him for a piece and he gave her one and then she took the whole bag away and said that the teacher told her too. I figured that was just someone being mean and I told him if it happens again to tell the teacher. Then last week he told me the teacher took away his bisli. He couldn't really explain to me why so I asked David to ask the teacher when he dropped Simon off in the morning. David said he didn't fully understand what the teacher said but it was clear that bisli is not allowed. So then I sent him with pretzels and he told me that he wasn't allowed to eat them. He said it was because he wanted to eat them before his pizza and the teacher wouldn't let. The weird thing was that he was telling me this food was being taken away but it wasn't coming home in his bag. Finally I asked my friend Irit, Chaim's mother, what the deal was and she said that some parents had been sending bags of candy in the lunch and it was a problem so the teachers said no junk food. Just fruit, vegetables, yogurt, etc. along with a sandwich or whatever. Ohhhhh...nice of them to tell me!! Obviously this had happened while we were away, but you'd think if I kept sending the wrong thing the teacher might have said something to me. The whole thing also made me wonder whether Simon actually understands anything that goes on because it's possible the teachers told him to tell me. I might send him back to Audrey for more Hebrew tutoring just to be on the safe side. Asher and Meirav go to her so I'm sure Simon would be glad to go back.
On Tuesday, Marcia picked up the kids from gan because I was in Jerusalem. Apparently Eli loves having her pick him up because on Wednesday when I picked him up and he saw me, he burst into tears and said "no Mommy...only Marcia!!" He did it again on Thursday and also had a huge fit on Thursday afternoon when Marcia left. So on Friday, she surprised him by going to Frieda's at pick-up time and bringing him chocolate. He was a very happy boy.
Friday night we had 2 of David's friends from work, Hadar and Or (who Simon calls Snoor), over for dinner. Or came well before Shabbat so that he could play Wii with David and Simon. I think Simon beat both of them at golf. Turns out he really might be a lefty...he plays golf and baseball lefty and he is quite good.
Yesterday we had a very lazy day. David got up with the kids and then when I got up, he attempted to go back to bed, but both kids wanted to "hide" under the covers with him. While they were doing that, I snuck into Simon's room and went back to sleep too. In the end, the kids actually played nicely by themselves and David and I both got to sleep more. Eli did color all over the window in the playroom with a red crayon, but then he and Simon got some wipes and cleaned it all up.
In the late afternoon we went to the park hoping to find some friends. At first there wasn't anyone we knew there, but then more people came and a fun time was had by all.
After Shabbos, I went for a walk/run (way more walking than running this time but we are determined to really run) with Abby and then we met Debbie at Aroma for hot chocolate--to reconsume the calories that we burned. It was so nice to have a girls night out!

No comments: