Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Park Herzliya and More Purim










Yesterday the kids didn't have school for the first day of their 3 day Purim vacation.  Marcia was coming in the afternoon but we needed to find something to do in the morning.  We ended up going with Tali, Boaz, Uri, Sharon and Oren to Park Herzliya, which is, as it sounds, the big park in Herzliya.  It's brand new and was really fun.  There is a huge assortment of climbing structures and slides with different parts that were good for kids of different ages.  There is one slide that is REALLY high up--you have to walk across one of those enclosed net-type things to get to it and it's WAY WAY WAY above the ground.  I was on the other side of the playground with Eli and I looked up and noticed that Simon was up in that net thing!  I couldn't believe he was so brave!  He couldn't see me watching him, but I snapped a picture (he's the first kid in the line in the picture) and then watched him get all the way to the top and then slide down.  When I saw him after, he acted like it was no big deal.  Then a little later he asked me if I wanted to up there with him.  First I said no way that I was way too scared.  He said "don't be scared.  I will be with you the whole time."  It was so sweet and I didn't want him to think I was a big wuss so I said ok.  I was TERRIFIED.  I actually almost turned back but then Simon said "if you just look down at your feet you won't be as scared."  He was so reassuring that I had to keep going!  He told me he was very proud of me for being brave.
Later in the afternoon I took Simon to his swimming lesson.  We went to pick up Dalia to take her too and she had the biggest tantrum I've ever seen.  Deborah and I thought maybe she'd stop as soon as we left, so Deborah basically forced her into the car and off we went.  She screamed the entire way and then I had to carry her out of the car and to the pool!!  In the end, Michael came to get her and she went in the pool for the last 5 minutes of the lesson.  Simon took it all in stride and just went on with his lesson and he actually swam!!  He pushes off from the wall with his face in the water and he does the arms and then the legs.  So cute!
After quick showers and a Skype chat with Ducky and Papu it was finally time to go to shul for Purim.  Simon was excited to wear his Batman costume and Eli refused to wear his costume.  He did agree to put it in a bag and he carried the bag.  When we got to shul, David was at the first megillah reading and Simon ran off to play with Asher and Dylan.  Eli and I hung out outside and then he wanted to go into shul because Maya was going in to shul.  We stayed in for a few minutes and he loved hearing all the noise when Haman's name was read.  Then David took the kids to the kids' program while I went to the second megillah reading.  And then there was a karaoke party, which was really fun.  We, along with Lauren, Yaron and Sharon, sang I Will Survive.  Shortly after we did our song, David took the kids home because Simon was bored since all of his friends had left already.  I stayed until the end of the party and it was really fun!
Today, I took Eli to Shiri's birthday party where he very nicely sat and decorated a mask with stickers.  David took Simon bowling while Eli and I were at the party.  They weren't done yet when the party was over, so Eli and I decided to walk home.  It took a very long time because he kept stopping to blow bubbles that he had gotten from the party.  
When we all finally got home, it was time to go to the Grays' for Purim Seudah barbecue.  We had a great time with the Grays, Levys, Dicksons, Nussbaums and another family who lives in Jerusalem whose name I can't remember right now.  Aside from one small instance where Dalia told Simon that she wasn't his friend anymore and one where Simon swung Zevi around by his costume, all the kids played really well together and had a great time.  
We got home around 6 and it's now7:15 and both kids are in bed.  They are a little bit over-sugared, but so tired!!  Luckily they have another day of vacation tomorrow to recuperate!

No comments: