So now that I've FINALLY finished writing about our trip, I suppose it's time to write about what has been going on here lately. Honestly, I don't have too much to report. We have settled back into a routine since getting home and routine makes for much better-behaved kids (although, they are obviously still far from perfect because they are afterall 3 and 5 years old).
It took us a little while to figure out which activities each kid was doing and I was pretty sure I was going to have them each only do 2 things, but it didn't quite work out that way. So, now Simon is doing basketball, soccer and English. Basketball is at our local elementary school across the street from his school and has about 6 or 7 kids in it. Parents aren't allowed to stay so I have no idea what they do, but he loves it. Soccer is at the school across town (they also have it at our school, but he wanted to go with Boaz and Oren) and there are about 25 kids in it, but it is amazing. The teacher somehow has amazing control over them all and between him and his helper manages to pay attention to each of them. The only problem with it is that it is outside with no apparent rainy-day solution. Last Tuesday, it poured and poured. I called to see whether soccer was still happening and was assured that it was and that a solution would be found. Only 7 kids showed up (Israelis don't go out in the rain) and he ran the class in the hallway of the school. It was fine and the kids had fun, but if more had shown up it would not have worked. Luckily there is no rain in the forecast for this week.
Eli is doing music, gymnastics and Playball. Music is ending in another 4 weeks and I'm not going to sign him up again because he doesn't seem to be enjoying it as much anymore. Gymnastics is turning out to be a slightly more movement-focused music class anyway. It isn't at all what I was expecting but he seems to like it so we will stick it out for now. I had wanted something that was more active--somersaults, climbing, those kinds of things. He just started Playball, which is the sports class that Simon did for the last 2 years and he really likes it. That is much more active and he loves Dion, the teacher, and his friend Uri Hassan is in the class with him too.
Since we've been back, we've gone to 2 Fishman cousins Bar Mitzvahs in Alon Shvut. It's always fun to go there. Before we went for the 2nd one, I told Simon we were going back to see all our cousins. He said "the ones who live in the place where everyone is Jewish?" It took me a few minutes to realize he was talking about the fact that there are no cars on the roads there on Shabbat so all the kids play in the street. Simon and Eli both love that for some reason.
On Thursday night, we took the kids out for dinner because we were feeling brave. We went to Atza where Simon and I can get sushi and David and Eli can get schnitzel. Simon ate an entire salmon avocado roll and then asked for another. While we were waiting for it, he was not behaving very well. David threatened to cancel his sushi order. Simon's response: "you can't cancel it because you don't know how to say cancel in Hebrew!"
I haven't been taking pictures so much, but I will try to start again! In the meantime, here are just a couple including one of a rainbow that we could see from our porch during one of the major rainstorms that we had last week. Hard to belive that there were torrential downpours a few days ago when now it is sunny and 75 and expected to be that way all week!
No comments:
Post a Comment