This week Simon brought home a book from school that is about shapes. He knows all of the shapes in Hebrew, including however you say trapezoid. I was asking him some other things in the book in Hebrew to see what he knew. I pointed to a tree and asked what it was and he said "etz." Then I asked him what colors it was and he said "yarok (green) v'chum (and brown)" and then he was saying "v...v..." trying to think of the 3rd color, which was kind of pinkish white. I thought he was looking for the word for pink, so I said "is it varod (pink)?" He looked at me with disdain and said "zeh lo varrrrrrrrrrod!" All of those r's are supposed to indicate the very thick Israeli accent with which he said that word. Any word that we taught him in Hebrew he says with an American accent, but anything that he's learned at school he says with an Israeli accent. So when he puts the words together he sometimes sounds pretty funny, but I love the accent. It almost sounds too exaggerated like he is making fun of it, but I don't think he is.
On Tuesday, Simon asked if we could go to Glidah Man (glidah is ice cream, so that is the name of the ice cream place) on the way to his Hebrew class at Audrey's. We were getting ready to go and Simon insisted on putting on his jacket backwards with the hood in front. Eli already had his jacked on, but when he saw what Simon was doing, he kept trying to pull it up over his face too. We went to Glidah Man and sat outside eating our ice cream since it was so nice out (anyone jealous of that??). In the middle of eating his ice cream, Simon decided that he actually wanted a cone and not a dish. I tried to get him to ask the man for the cone because I wanted to see if he would do it in Hebrew, but it turned out that he didn't know the word for cone. Neither did I, but the guy spoke English anyway. I stupidly didn't ask for a cone for Eli too, so he kept trying to grab Simon's away from him. Simon let him hold it for a few minutes which was very nice of him.
Not much else to report at the moment...my friend is studying to be a massage therapist and she needs practice so I went to her house and got a free massage this morning--it's a good life!
2 comments:
why is Simon's sweatshirt on backwards? Did you forget how to wear warm clothes?
Can I be friends with your massage learning friend too????
Post a Comment