Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Spiderman "Water" Park






The word "water" is in quotation marks in the title of this post because what was advertised as a Spiderman Water Park was actually a big indoor-outdoor play area with big pictures of Spiderman everywhere. The only water was in a baby pool at the bottom of a slide. Truth is, while we were expecting more, it was actually great. We went with Tali, Boaz and Uri, of course, because what would a day of vacation be without doing something with them! Simon and Boaz were the only kids in the pool wearing bathing suits...all the Israeli kids were just wearing their underwear. They both proved their Israeliness by peeing on trees right outside the bathroom though. It was my fault--I went to take them to the bathroom but realized when we were almost there that none of us were wearing shoes and I thought it would be gross to walk in the bathroom barefoot. I don't know whether or not that is grosser than peeing on trees, but it seemed to make sense to me at the time. Eli and Uri didn't want to go in the pool and Eli didn't go in but poor Uri actually fell in. I know it's mean, but it was pretty funny.
The kids were exhausted from running around and the heat (it was almost 90 degrees and HUMID) so I thought maybe they would both nap when we got home. Lucky for Simon, Irit called to see if he wanted to go play with Chaim in the afternoon. I asked him whether he wanted to go and he immediately perked up from being 1/2 asleep in the car and yelled "YES!" I dropped him off on the way home and then took Eli home for a nap. He slept for a couple of hours and I actually did some cleaning for Pesach!
Eli and I went to pick up Simon around 5. He reported that he had a good time except for when Chaim wasn't nice to him. Apparently they had a couple of fights, but overall they had fun.
On the way out the door to pick up Simon, Eli picked up the bag of garbage that I had left by the door to remember to take out. It was very heavy for him, but he insisted on dragging it behind him down the stairs and he wouldn't let me help at all. Someday I bet I will have to pay him to take out the garbage, but for now, he enjoys it! He did leave a trail of yogurt behind him, including on my clean floor, but he was trying to help so I couldn't be mad.
I gave the kids dinner and was getting them into the bath when David got home. He was only home for a couple of minutes and then he took all of our Shabbat leftovers and a bunch of other food to an apartment in Tel Aviv where 15 or so refugees from Darfur are living. He's not back yet, but I'm really interested to hear about how it was. He met a guy (randyreports.blogspot.com) who has been working with the refugees and really wanted to do something. We're going to try to make it a weekly thing of collecting Shabbat leftovers and bringing it to the refugees. I know there is a lot of controversy around what Israel should or shouldn't be doing for these people, but my own personal opinion is that these people survived genocide in their homeland, WALKING from Sudan to Israel, getting shot at at the Egyptian border, etc. How can we turn them away?
I'm glad we can do what little we can to help them and I wish we could do more. Makes me appreciate all that I have. Ok, getting way off track the usual topics of this blog!
One more funny thing to end with...at the Spiderman thing today there was a train ride that literally goes a round and around a tiny track. I went on it with Simon and Eli and at one point I said "I think I'm going to throw up." Simon asked me why and I told him that I don't like going around in a circle. His response: "But Mommy, this isn't a circle...it's an oval!"

No comments: