Monday, June 23, 2008

Har Sinai Here We Come




This might be my last post for a while. We are moving tomorrow and I haven't a clue how long it will take to get internet in the new place. A technician from Bezeq (the phone company) is coming tomorrow because they aren't sure that there was a Bezeq line in the apartment before. Our new street is called Har Sinai (yup, that would be Mt. Sinai, like where the Torah was received) and our building is directly next door to our shul. Literally directly next door...as in our windows look into the sanctuary. We'll be keeping the shades down and the doors locked lest anyone expect us to show up to shul on time just because we live next door!! I'm actually thinking we could send the kids by themselves and sleep in--they don't have to cross the street or anything.
Anyway, the past few days have been filled with fun things like packing. And more packing. Kind of like last summer, actually, only less stuff.
Friends of ours (actually, we had never met them until Friday, but we've been talking to them for a while since Stef Diamond made the shidduch so we feel like we've been friends forever) moved here from Baltimore on Wednesday so they came for lunch on Shabbos. They are great and their son Asher might just be Simon's new best friend (or at least an additional one). We met them at the park on Friday afternoon--along with Dave Galper who was here for his niece's bat mitzvah and it was great to see him even if he didn't bring Shira and Elan with him and we miss them so much!!--and Asher accidentally fell into the fountain. He was upset, so David pushed Simon in as a joke and then all the kids went in and I have a feeling we can never go back to that park without the kids wanting to go in the fountain. Eli went in too and I had to jump in after him twice when he tripped and fell underwater. The third time, he rescued himself before I could get in. I don't think he needs swimming lessons.
Earlier in the afternoon, Eli took a short nap on the couch. He had fallen asleep on Marcia's lap and when she tried to put him in his crib he woke up and cried and cried. She had to go home, so she just lay him down on the couch and he slept there so cutely until Simon forgot that he was sleeping there and screeched really loudly right next to him.
Friday night we ate a quick dinner and went to bed early. In the morning, David got up with the kids and then took them to shul and I followed a little later. As I was leaving, I saw Irit walking down my street with Chaim and Yiskah. I asked her where she was going and she said she was coming to make sure we were ok since we hadn't shown up Friday night. Oops, she had invited us for dinner and I was so sure it was for next week, not this week!!!!! I felt SO horrible, but she didn't seem too bothered and said we could still come this week.
After shul, we had a nice lunch and afternoon with the Sachses and then David went to take a nap and we all went to the park to meet up with Boaz and Chaim and all the other people who go to the park on a Shabbat afternoon. As usual, I didn't seem Simon the whole time because he was so busy with his friends. Two girls brought their hamsters to the park so that was very exciting for everyone. Irit came over with her kids after the park and they entertained each other until Shabbos was over. Simon and Chaim took the pillows off the big chair and made themselves a bed. They were still in it when Shabbos was over, so I could get a cute picture.
Today Eli stayed at Bettina's until 4 and Simon went to Yishai's house right from gan so that I could finish packing. Then we went out for dinner with Tali and the boys and David met us at Aroma. There was nothing there that Simon wanted to eat, so he had bread and butter and then David took him to get pizza on the way home.
Tonight Simon and I were singing songs and we were singing "She'll be coming round the mountain" and after we sang "she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes..." we suddenly heard Eli pipe up with "toot toot." Simon knows a version of the song in Hebrew too--"yesh li doda m'beersheva, he ta'vo..." (meaning "my aunt from Beersheva is coming") It's cute when he sings it. We've been listening to a Hebrew CD in the car and lately Simon has started translating the songs for me. Pretty impressive, especially because I don't understand half of what the songs mean. I suppose he could be making up the meanings. That wouldn't be quite as impressive.
This morning, Simon was lying in my bed with me and I told him that my arm hurt because I had slept on it funny. He said "try to bend it. Does it bend?" I showed him that it bent and he said "ok, then you are ok." This was because the other day he hurt his finger and I asked him to bend it to make sure it wasn't broken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So happy I made a good shidduch!!