Sunday, June 14, 2009

Best Surprise(s) Ever!


















Last Wednesday started out as a fairly normal day. Simon woke up in the morning and promptly threw up and he had a fever, so clearly he was staying home from school. Eli went off to school and I stayed home and worked while Simon lay on the couch and watched movies and sipped very cold apple juice through a straw.
In the afternoon, I tried to entertain Eli while Simon continued to lay on the couch. Poor Eli was going a little stir crazy and he kept going to the door and saying "where we going Mommy?" and then looking disappointed when I said nowhere.
Around 4 or 4:30, I was in the playroom with Eli when I heard Simon calling me, I went to see what he wanted and lo and behold MY PARENTS WERE IN MY LIVING ROOM!!!!!!! I was so excited to see them that I forgot to be concerned with the fact that they got into my apartment without me hearing anything. They had flown in to surprise me to come to my graduation which was Wednesday night. Despite the fact that I finished my MBA program last August, official graduation was last week (some weird Israeli phenomenon that I don't fully understand).
In the end, David didn't come to graduation because Simon was really sick and threw up again right before we left. I didn't think it was fair to leave him with a babysitter, so David stayed and my parents and I went to graduation. It was very nice, but was all in Hebrew and I didn't understand much of the speeches. And there were no caps and gowns and no Pomp and Circumstance. But it was fun nonetheless. And now I am officially graduated with a graduate degree. My parents were exhausted so they went back to their hotel after graduation and I went out for dinner with my classmates which was really fun. Nice to catch up with them since I hadn't seen or spoken to most of them for almost a year.
By some miracle Simon was fully recovered the next morning and asked to go to school. No arguments from me because with both kids gone, David and my dad went up to Haifa and I met my mom for breakfast at the Hilton because I love hotel breakfasts!! After breakfast we came back to Ra'anana and did some shopping and I introduced her to the yumminess that is frozen yogurt from Lavan and then we picked up the kids and went back to the Hilton to go swimming. The water was freezing but the kids had fun. Simon showed off his swimming skills only a very little bit.
The plan was to have Marcia come babysit Thursday night so the 4 of us could go out for dinner. We were going to meet my parents in Tel Aviv. We were on our way when Marcia called and said she had hurt her back bending down to pick up Eli and she couldn't stand up and could we come home. This was NOT good news!! We called my parents to just come meet us at home instead and we turned around and went back. None of this at all seemed suspicious to me and I felt horrible that we had broken Marcia! Then, we got home and it turned out it was all a lie...David had planned a surprise party for me in honor of my graduation and many of our friends were here! I couldn't believe it!!! I also couldn't believe just how many people can actually fit in our tiny kitchen which maybe isn't so tiny after all. It was such a nice party and so much fun. And I can't believe that between all these surprises and all the people who knew about them, not one person slipped and told me anything!
Friday we let the kids skip school and we went to Tel Aviv to spend the day at the pool and the beach. We ate take-out for dinner and lunch and had a very relaxing Shabbat. Then, sadly, it was time for Ducky and Papu to leave. I'm not sure they were even really here it went by so quickly! But it was really fun and I'm so glad they came!
I guess Simon understood that they had to go home, but Eli has asked me a few times today "Ducky and Papu is at Ducky hotel? We going to Ducky hotel now?" I told him they went back to America and he said "where is my 'merica? We go now?" I said not now because we don't have plane tickets and he said "I will walk." I guess I need to show him a map and explain geography and distance and oceans.

No comments: