Sunday, January 03, 2010

Swine Flu Shot Saga

At long last, the swine flu shot has become available here for anyone who wants it. Apparently, there is so much of it available, that the government has decided that even tourists who are just here on vacation can get it for free if they want. We're such a friendly and sharing country.
Anyway, after much debate and internal strife about whether or not to get the shot given that the version here is apparently different than the version in the US and is not FDA-approved, we finally decided to get the shot for ourselves and the kids. David is responsible for getting his own and I said I would take myself and the kids. Last week on Wednesday, Eli and I dropped Simon off at soccer and bravely went to the Maccabi building (that's the health fund--like an HMO--that we are part of) to get our shots. I explained to Eli what we were doing and he said he didn't want a shot, but he went with me agreeably and sat nicely in the waiting room watching Little Einsteins on my ipod. He didn't put up a fuss when it was finally our turn--he had tons of questions about everything that he saw on the nurse's desk and he insisted that I should go first. I put on my brave face and tried not to flinch despite the shooting pain that went down my arm!! When it was his turn--he sat nicely on my lap and started to cry before the shot went in and then stopped about 5 seconds after and got his sticker and was ready to go. I didn't realize they would make us stay for another 20 minutes to make sure we didn't have any allergic reactions. The whole thing took so long that it wasn't worth going to Eli's gym class because there would have only been 15 minutes of it left. Eli was really sad about that but he got over it pretty quickly. We went home and he showed off his sticker and told Simon how brave he had been.
If only Simon were as brave when I took him on Thursday! I picked him up from English and told him where we were going...he immediately said "but I don't want a shot!!" He asked why he needed it and I explained it was to keep him from getting sick with the flu. He said "how long would I be sick for and what would happen?" as if trying to decide if it might be worth risking it! He managed to behave himself while we waited our turn, but then as soon as he saw the needle he FREAKED out worse than I've seen him do in a long time. The nurse was amazing and put down the needle and talked to him calmly to explain what she was going to do. She was much more patient than I would have been! But eventually I had to basically wrap him up with my arms and legs and hold him down so she could give him the shot. He carried on as if it was the most painful thing ever (which if it felt anything like mine did, then it was!) but the promise of candy calmed him down pretty quickly.
I haven't heard a word about the whole thing from Eli since he got his shot, but Simon has mentioned a couple of times that his leg hurts where he got his shot. Last night, he came into our bed around 4:00 in the morning and I vaguely heard him have a conversation with David about possibly throwing up. I tried to ignore it all because I had gone to bed very late after a fun night playing Settlers of Cattan and drinking with Arica and Josh and I was hoping that he wasn't actually going to throw up. Boy was that wishful thinking!! From 4:00am until about 9:30am, there was a lot of throwing up going on. Somehow, he made it to the toilet every single time. And when David had left to take Eli to gan and I was alone with him, he didn't seem to mind that I stood outside the bathroom trying to comfort him because I knew if I went in and was too close to the vomit my head would be in the toilet as well--I'm such a good mother, aren't I??
David went and bought some Kal-Beten (which is like pepto, we think) and some Minerali (which is like pedia-lyte, we think) and he had those and ate a jelly sandwich on toast and hasn't thrown up since. He's now been asleep since about 12:00 (it's 2:30 now) and hopefully will be much better when he wakes up.
I wonder whether it's a reaction to the shot. I'm kind of head-achy and a little nauseous too which I wonder if it's from the shot or from listening to so much throwing-up or from not sleeping enough. David is making nut-encrusted sea bass with mango cream sauce for dinner, so as long as I feel better in time to eat that I will be happy because how good does that sound??
Sorry this entire post has been about vomit but that's pretty much been the story of my day! At least I don't have any pictures...

No comments: