Monday, January 04, 2010

Which Eretz??

I'm pretty sure Eli hasn't a clue what it means to be in a different country, partly evidenced by the fact that if you show him any flag at all, he says "degel Yisrael" (Israeli flag). I think he might think that is just how you say flag. He does know that it takes 2 airplanes to get to Ducky's house, so maybe he does have some concept of it all.
Simon, on the other hand, is suddenly very into the idea that he once lived in a different country. It has been coming out in funny ways. On Friday night, I was reading him books and I was doing all different voices to try to make it more interesting (mostly for myself because he picked out about 100 books to read and I started getting a little bored). I picked up a book and asked him what accent I should use. He said "talk like Sara." I thought he meant Sara his teacher, so I started trying to imitate a thick Israeli accent in English. He looked at me like I was insane and said "Sara doesn't talk like that!" Turns out, he meant Sara his English teacher who is British. I asked him if he thinks she talks funny and he said "a little. But I am the only one in English class who doesn't talk like that. Is it because they are from British and I am from America?" While he still very much has his American accent, both kids have picked up a few British phrases. The other day, Simon was really mad at me for making him go to bed and he stamped his foot and said "I am really really really cross with you!" When Eli asks me to do something and I tell him to wait a minute, he often responds with "I can't wait...do it straight away!"
This morning, I was getting my shoes on and Simon said "wait, I don't want you to wear those shoes. I want you to wear your pink ones. The puma ones." Then he said "can you get me a pair of those in light blue?" I said we could look for them and he said "but, wait, which eretz (land) did you get them in??"

No comments: