On Monday, I picked up Simon, Chaim and Dalia from a birthday party. I'm glad I hadn't also taken them to the party because I probably would not have let them stay!! It was a party for a kid in their gan, Idan, and his older brother. So there were about 70 kids, 2 huge jumping castles, a bunch of animals, a bbq, and a cotton candy machine. The first thing I saw when I walked in the gate was Simon chasing a HUGE turtle and then feeding it a leaf. He was covered head to toe in ketchup and chocolate and informed me that it was the best party ever. Looked totally unsafe and a madhouse to me! I managed to gather up all 3 kids and herd them over to say goodbye and thank you to Idan. The going-home present was a goldfish. Yes, a goldfish. Swimming in a little tupperware with a small bag of food taped to the side.
I told each kid that they were responsible for holding their fish container very carefully in the car to make sure no fish escaped.
There were a couple of cute/funny conversations in the car:
me: what are you going to name your fish?
Simon: Simon (he has since changed it to Forty Million)
Chaim: Emily
Dalia: not sure (in the end, she named it Mushy)
Simon: I think my fish is dead...oh no, it's moving
me: goldfish don't always live very long (trying to prepare them for the inevitable death)
Dalia: that is so sad
me: it's not so sad. one minute for them is like 20 years for you, so when they die, they were old and lived a full life.
Chaim: people die. that's how it works. (his grandfather just passed away last week so he knows)
After we dropped off Dalia, this conversation happened. I stayed out of it because I wanted to see how they would resolve things themselves:
Chaim: I'm going to call my fish a really high number, so high that you can't even say it.
Simon: I'm going to call mine an even higher number so that YOU won't be able to say it.
Chaim: We don't say that to friends. You can't say that I can't say something.
Simon: But you said it to me first!
Chaim: Well I'm not going to play with you in gan tomorrow.
Simon: Yes you will because you'll forget that you said that.
Chaim: No I won't because I have a very good brain. I can also see really good and smell really good.
Simon (in sing-song voice): nah-nah-nah-nah-nah, you will forget and you will play with me tomorrow
Chaim: We don't say that to friends.
Simon: Fine, then I won't talk to you.
I thought Simon handled that pretty maturely. When I dropped Chaim off, his father asked me if I could bring him to our house after gan the next day for an hour or so. Chaim heard that and said "I don't want to go. Simon said he's not talking to me." I can't believe he twisted that around and put it on Simon!!
He didn't come over the next day, but Simon told me they played together in gan. Those two have such a love-hate relationship!!
Brace Face
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment