Saturday, May 09, 2009

Ka-chol V'Lavan

I never posted this video from Yom Ha'atzmaut of Simon singing part of one of my favorite songs that he learned in school last year, Ka-chol V'Lavan (and forgetting the words towards the end, but whatever!)
The words translate (more or less) to:
Blue and white
are not just the colors of the flag
Blue and white
They are hope and love
And if we find blue and white not just on the flag
Maybe we will know good days of peace and happiness



As I wrote out the translation, I realize that Hebrew doesn't translate well into English in terms of gramatically correct sentences. Which explains why Simon says things like "Eli is all the time hitting me." In Hebrew you can say someone "kol ha-zman" (all the time) does something and it sounds right. But in English it sounds funny.
Also Eli says "gimme" a lot. Like "gimme that book" or "gimme my milk." I don't think he's being rude. I think he is translating the Hebrew "tain li" which means "give me" but isn't quite as rude as "gimme." He also says "take" if he's handing me something instead of "here" or "here you go"...translating from "kach," which means "take."
If I were a scientist, I would want to study how brains process and learn language. Watching Simon and Eli learn Hebrew has been one of my favorite parts of living here. It is just so interesting to me how they process it all.

No comments: