Sunday, September 02, 2007

Beach Bums, Shabbat, and Back to School



On Thursday, my friend Mindy (yet another ex-JCRC person) came up from Jerusalem to spend the afternoon with us. We picked up the kids from their last day at Becky's, said our sad goodbyes, and headed to the beach in Herzliya. It was a great beach day--hot, but not terribly hot, and a nice breeze near the water. The beach was not very crowded and the kids had a fun time playing in the sand and in the water. I am glad I never attempted to take them to the beach alone because they like to run (or crawl) off in different directions. Eli has no fear when it comes to the water and liked to just crawl right into it!


We stayed at the beach until almost 5, then we got popsicles and dropped Mindy off at the bus and came home. The boys went straight into the tub because they were full of sand. I spent the rest of the night studying for my calculus final which was on Friday.
On Friday morning, I went to school and after David's bike ride, he took Simon to orientation at Gan Frieda. Simon was a little bit shy at first, but then he was happy to be back. We didn't do much in the afternoon--just cleaned up and relaxed and then we went to the Saltzmans' for Shabbat with Charles and Jen.
We had a great time, despite a few fights between Simon and Jordy. When they weren't fighting, they were playing really well. The best line of the weekend came from Danya: I had brought some chocolate rum balls that looked really good in the bakery but actually tasted terrible. Danya tasted one but clearly didn't like it, but she said she was going to eat it because she didn't want to hurt my feelings. Someone (can't remember who) asked her who taught her such good manners and she said "Barney!"
We ended up coming home last night because David was sick. He is still sick today, so I had to postpone his birthday party that was supposed to be tonight. Poor guy. I hope the rest of us don't catch it because we are flying on Thursday.
Today both kids had their first days of school. I took Simon first and he went right in with barely a glance back at me to say goodbye. Eli pretty much did the same thing at Bettina's. She gave him pancakes so he was happy.
Simon only had school until 10 today, but Eli stayed until 1. I picked up Simon and we went to Tel Aviv to pick up our plane tickets. After we got them, we had some time before we had to be back to get Eli so we went to the flea market in Yaffo and walked around for a while and bought some presents for various family members. It was a bit hot, but we had a good time and if anyone doesn't like their presents, then blame Simon because he picked them out!

No comments: