Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Math Genuis?






I was prepared for a long afternoon on Sunday because it's the only day that Simon doesn't have an activity or Marcia and I hadn't arranged any playdates or made any plans. Eli ended up sleeping from 1:45 until 5pm and Simon decided that he wanted to watch his new Hot Wheels movies...all 4 of them! He only watched 3, but that took up 3 hours so I got lots of homework done and even got a 1/2 hour nap on the couch (reading about corporate finance is kind of boring). I felt bad that Simon had really done nothing all day, so I called Tali to see if they wanted to come over for a little bit. They did and Simon and Boaz totally trashed the playroom but they had a good time. It's funny how they love to play "together" but really I think they just each like going to the others house to play with his toys because they really spend very little time actually playing and interacting with each other.
After the Cohens left, Arica and Josh came over. Josh and David ordered in food and watched the Bears game online (they lost because no team in any sport is as good as the Red Sox) while Arica and I went out for sushi. We knew there was still much more time for the game when we were done eating (and stealing the fancy chopsticks) so we went to the mall for some shopping, not that there is anything to buy here!
I don't think I have anything exciting to say about yesterday other than I went to yoga in the morning and the teacher suddenly upped the level of the class and it was SO hard but so good, despite the fact that I can't really walk today.
Today was a fun day. While the boys were at gan/daycare, Abby and I had our personal trainer session--we feel like real-life desperate housewives with our hot trainer (yes, we have a joint crush on him) but it's really fun and he is nice enough to not make fun of us for being so uncoordinated!
I picked up the kids and we came home and made french toast for lunch. When we picked up Eli, Bettina gave Simon 3 pieces of candy (he has a plastic bag that she once gave him some m&m's in--he keeps it in the car and brings it in to her every day when we pick up Eli so that she can put some sort of treat in it--I'm not sure how he got this deal, but it works out nicely for him). In the car he said to me "I have 2 pieces of candy left. After I eat one, I will have one left." I explained to him that he just did math by saying that if you have 2 and you take away 1, you have 1 left. Then I asked him what happens if you have 2 and then you get one more and he said "then you have 3." Then he added "and if you take away 3, you have none left." Yeah, he's a math genius. He didn't even have to count on his fingers to figure it out!
After Eli's nap, we took Simon to his Hebrew chug (activity) at Audrey's house and then Eli and I went to a different fruit and veggie store that someone had told me about. I bought some dried papaya and gave Eli a piece to eat to keep him occupied. It took him a very long time to eat it--as long as it took to do the shopping, come home, put the food away, make dinner to bring to the park, drive to pick up Simon, pick up Simon, drive home and walk to the park--and he was entirely covered in orange goo, but he seemed to enjoy it.
When we picked up Simon, Audrey reported that he is definitely understanding a lot of Hebrew but he is a little tentative to speak it. I tested him later by asking him "ata yachol lasim et ha-yad al ha rosh?" (meaning: can you put your hand on your head?). He answered "cain" (yes) and he did it!
We went straight from Audrey's to the park where the boys played some soccer and Eli took of his shoe and threw it into the fountain. They ate their dinner there and then we walked to a new store that had opened that I wanted to check out. It's the sort of Israeli equivalent of the dollar store (not to be confused with the 1 shekel store that also opened where everything is only 1 shekel...that is about 25 cents!) so there is lots of crap as well as some good deals. We bought a little train set (that I'm sure will break very soon), a car and an airplane (that already broke) and 4 picture frames all for 26 shekels (less than $7). When we left the store, Simon wanted to stop and play in the little tiny park that is in the middle of the sidewalk (another weird Israeli phenomenon). The kids had fun there and David called that he was leaving work so he met us there and we played a little bit more and then came home.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

What are you, superwoman? An MBA, yoga, hot trainer, kids? A NAP??!! How many hours are in your day?? I am in awe.