Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Belated Birthday Bowling and Story Time







On Sunday afternoon we were supposed to meet Simon's friend Ari in the park, but we had a sudden monsoon so even though it stopped raining by the time we were supposed to go the park was all wet so Ari and his mom Kira came over instead. Simon and Ari played really nicely together. They wanted a snack, so I gave them yogurt drinks. Simon went to get straws and he said "I'm getting us green ones because we like green." Ari said "actually, I like red." For a second I thought that might upset Simon, but he just shrugged and said "ok, you can have red."
After Ari left, the kids had dinner and they were just getting out of the tub when Marcia came to babysit. We left her to put them to bed and then we went to David's belated birthday bowling party in Kfar Saba (the town right next to Ra'anana). I had planned it for him months ago, but then he got sick so I had to cancel it. I would have lost my deposit at the bowling alley if I didn't reschedule it (although now that I think about it, I'm not sure that they actually applied my 100 shekel deposit to the final bill). We had a great time and discovered that I still suck at bowling. Arica wins the prize for coming from the farthest away (although there was so much traffic leaving Ra'anana that it took all of us almost as long as it took her) and then getting a million strikes in a row! Ok, it wasn't really a million, but I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 and I didn't want to write the wrong thing. After bowling, some people left and some of us went to an authentic (read: somewhat dirty and no menus in English) Israeli restaurant and ate really really yummy authentic Israeli food.
Yesterday, when Simon got home from school all he wanted to do was watch his Hot Wheels movie. He sat for 2 hours watching it and eating lunch--the only way he'd eat anything was if I'd let him eat on the couch in front of his movie--and then when Marcia got here I really wanted him to go out to the park. My first class was canceled so I didn't have to leave right away and Eli was sleeping, so Marcia and I tried to convince Simon to go to the park and I would stay home with Eli. She ended up literally carrying him out of the apartment kicking and screaming because he just wanted to watch the movie. Of course he had a great time at the park, but he did go straight back for the movie as soon as they got back.
Today we had a busy day. We overslept a little bit so I didn't get the kids to school until almost 9. Eli has gotten very good at pressing the elevator buttons at Bettina's and he is so proud of himself when the button lights up. He also knocked on her door all by himself which was very cute. We came home and hung out for a little bit. Eli likes to pull all the cups out of the cup holder by the water cooler and throw them on the floor. Then he picked up one cup, held it up to the cooler (but didn't actually put any water in it) then pretended to drink and then said "ahhhh" which he says all the time after he drinks!
Eli and I took Simon to his Hebrew class at Audrey's and then we went to the supermarket where Eli charmed the lady at the chicken counter. After we picked up Simon, we came home just for a few minutes and then we left to go meet Oren, Boaz and Chaim at the library for story hour. We bumped into David on his way home on our way there, so Eli went home with David and Simon and I continued on to story hour. He liked seeing his friends there, but he clearly didn't understand most of what was going on and was pretty bored. We were both glad when it was over! We all (except for Oren) went to Burger Ranch afterwards for dinner. Simon, Chaim, and Boaz sat by themselves at a kids table and made lots of noise. Simon and Chaim wanted to go outside to race, so I told them they could go but they had to stay right by the window where I could see them. Of course they ran off as soon as they got outside and Chaim's father had to chase them down. Eventually we all went outside and the kids were all running around and having a great time. Then Simon tripped and fell down and was crying really hard. Chaim ran over to him before I got there and was rubbing his back and saying "it's ok, Simon, it's ok." It was so sweet. Simon was crying so hard and saying that he couldn't tell me where it hurt because it hurt too much. Eventually he said it was his hands and then he calmed down. We started walking back to where his friends where and he said "and my forehead hurts too." I then noticed the gigantic bump on his forehead. Because of his injury, he wanted me to carry him home. I felt bad for him, so I started to carry him but he is really heavy!! He finally agreed to walk and we had fun pretending to be a train the whole way home.

No comments: