Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Happy Birthday Mika






Yesterday we went to Simon's friend Mika's birthday party. Mika used to go to Gan Frieda last year, so Simon was only in school with her for a few weeks. Now her little brother Roi is in Gan Frieda. Simon has played with Mika a few times because she is good friends with Boaz and Oren. Mika only speaks Hebrew. So, after I picked up Simon at school, I reminded him that we were going to Mika's birthday party in the afternoon. He said "who is Mika?" I explained that she is Roi's sister and she used to be in school with him and he used to play with her and that she has curly hair. He then listed all of the other kids in his class who have curly hair and then he said "have you ever heard of a boy with curly hair?" I pointed out that Yishai has curly hair and he thought that was so funny, I'm not sure why. Then I told him that we bought Mika an art set for her birthday and I asked him if she likes to paint and draw. He said "I don't know. Let's ask her. But you ask because I don't know who she is."
When we got to the party, he did seem to remember her and they had a great time together. She calls him by his "Hebrew" name, Si-MOAN. The party was great--it was very small, just Mika, Roi, Simon, Oren and Boaz (and Eli and Uri too). It was at a gymboree place that was one huge room with tons of toys and fun things to play with. The grown-ups could just sit on the side and still see everything that was going on. Eli thinks he is a big kid and he tried to do everything that they were doing, sometimes with success and sometimes not as much, but he had fun!
The only bad part of the party happened during the story-time. The woman who worked there had her daughter there too, who must have been about 2. After the story (which Simon paid rapt attention to and I think he understood), there was some music and dancing with scarves. The daughter (who I will now call the mean Israeli girl) really wanted a green scarf as did Simon who very nicely said "yarok please." The mean Israeli girl got one green scarf and Simon got one. But everyone needed two scarves. Simon was fine with a different color for his second one but MIG really wanted the other green one and she proceeded to cry and cry and cry. I asked Simon if he wanted to give it to her and he said no, so I told him that was ok since she already had one. They all did some dancing while MIG cried and cried. So then the teacher-lady announced that it was time for everyone to switch scarves and she basically made Simon give up his green scarf. He didn't want to at first, but then he said "ok, she can have it" and he gave it to her. She didn't even say thank you. After a minute, he then realized that she had 2 green scarves and he didn't have any and he burst into tears. I felt terrible because it was so unfair and he shouldn't have had to give his up. He decided to go back and play in the main area with Oren so he quickly forgot about it, but I am actually still mad about it!! Orly (Mika's mom) was going to offer MIG and her mom some cake (she hadn't been in the room for the scarf incident), but Tali and I both said that MIG didn't deserve any cake!!!!
We didn't get home from the party until after 7 at which point David was in charge of the kids because I had to go to Herzilya to meet some people from school to work on a group project. Apparently Simon didn't go to bed until after 9. Then we forgot to unplug the vonage phone before we went to sleep, so the phone rang in the middle of the night (I checked it this morning and a telemarketer called at 9pm Boston time--despite the fact that it was 4am here, what kind of telemarketer calls so late at night anyway??) and it woke up Simon. He called for me and I went running because I didn't want him to wake up Eli. I ended up sleeping in Simon's bed for the rest of the night so now I am very tired and I have to be at school from 2pm until 9:30pm--yuck (or as Simon would now say "ich-sa.")






No comments: