When we first got to Israel and were staying at Vered's house, Simon found a bowl full of dreidels and was disappointed to see that there was no "shin" on them, as that was the only Hebrew letter that he knew at the time. I explained to him that on the dreidels in Boston it has 4 letters that stand for "nes gadol hayah sham" meaning "a great miracle happened there" with the "shin" standing for "sham" but in Israel there is a "peh" instead of a "shin" for the word "po" which means "here" because the miracle of Chanukah actually happened here. This all went way over his head, but where last year around this time of year he was singing "sivivon sov sov sov...nes gadol hayah sham..." now he is singing "sivivon sov sov sov...nes gadol hayah PO!" I love it. I also love that I went to the gas station the other day and while the car was filling up, the attendant asked me if I wanted to buy a menorah or a dreidel for 10 shekels! I do love the Christmas season with the lights and the shopping, but there is something special about being in Israel for Chanukah.
Last night was Simon's chanukah party at gan. Eli stayed home with Marcia and David and I went to the party with Simon. It was great! The pictures and video don't really do it justice and the camera ran out of memory in the middle, but it was really adorable. Simon did a great job in his role as a sufganiya (jelly donut) and he participated in all the singing and dancing.
Here are some videos:
No comments:
Post a Comment