Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Back Safe Home Again

Any Richard Scarry fans out there get the reference in the title to this post??
Anyway, we had a great weekend in New Jersey. While Joshua was feeling better by Friday night, I told Simon that he couldn't sleep in Joshua's room because he was sick. As it was getting close to bedtime, the boys were playing in Joshua's room and Joshua said to Simon "should we set up your bed?" Simon said "I can't sleep in here because you are sick." Joshua said "but I had lots of medicine."
None of us went to shul on Shabbos and the kids played outside with the neighbors and some water guns. Simon and Joshua played baseball in Joshua's room for a little while too--Simon doesn't quite know the baseball rules it seems. After lunch, we went back outside for more water gun fights--Sarah lost the fight but she fought back with a watering can and got her revenge!
Simon picked up a new phrase from Joshua "what the heck is that?" Except, Simon says "what the heck of you?" instead and it is really funny.
On Sunday, we went to Huvi's house and Simon had a good time playing with his cousins there. He and Ezra play really well together. Auntie Huvi took Simon to the toystore and he got some Hot Wheels stuff that Coby put together for him in about 5 minutes without looking at the instructions (which was a good thing because I couldn't even understand the instructions). The kids all played outside for most of the afternoon and Alli took good care of Eli! Before we left, Huvi offered Simon some candy for the car ride. He said "I am going to Joshua's house, so can I have one for Joshua too?"
The biggest news of the day at Huvi's house was that Eli crawled for the first time! He has yet to really do it again, but he is getting very close!

The kids were exhausted when we got back to Teaneck (it only took 35 minutes each way, luckily!! I was very afraid of the Cross Bronx Expressway, but there was no traffic) so they went to bed very easily. On Monday morning, I took the boys to see the Diamonds' new house which is really amazing and I think our apartment in Israel would fit into their kitchen. Then we went to the street fair in Teaneck, but we only stayed for a few minutes because I wanted to get on the road. I got pizza for Simon and me to eat in the car and we headed home. First we stopped in Riverdale to see the Milsteins. Simon was very shy at first, but he warmed up when he saw the giant car that Ian has that really drives. Our next stop was in West Hartford to see Ilana and Adam. Again, Simon was shy but warmed up at the mere mention of cupcakes. He also played frisbee outside and we ate popsicles. It was great for him to run around a bit before getting back in the car for what seemed like the millionth time!
The kids were amazing in the car--other than our scheduled stops, we didn't stop at all and Eli basically slept the whole time and Simon watched movies and slept too. Eli cried for about 20 minutes at one point, but we were already on the Mass Pike in Framingham so I didn't stress about it since we were almost home.
We got home at the same time as David, who had arrived back from Israel earlier in the day and had gone out to pick up dinner. Simon gave him the biggest hug ever. David was talking to him about Israel and Simon just gave him another big squeeze and said "I love Israel!" Then he immediately wanted to know what David brought him.
David's trip to Israel was very successful and he had a great time. The kids are all set with school and daycare and David saw our apartment which is small but nice. The only problem with it is that it has 2 bathrooms, but each has a shower and no tub. I guess the kids will have to start showering instead of having baths.
We were all very glad to be home and everyone slept well in their own beds...until Susan's fire alarm went off at 5am! The kids didn't wake up, but we heard it and then Susan called to see if our house was on fire because her's wasn't and she couldn't get the alarm to turn off. I think the fire department ended up coming, but I went back to sleep and the house is still standing so I guess there wasn't a fire!
This morning Yaya called and said that she had space today if I wanted to send Eli to make up for one of the days that she is going to be closed in a couple of weeks. That should have given me lots of time this morning to pack and clean up and do a million things that I have to do, but I didn't. I went to the supermarket and then went for a walk with Yael and her really cute new baby and now I have to leave to pick up Simon in a few minutes. Maybe he will help me clean this afternoon!

No comments: