Sunday, May 20, 2007

Rainy Days





It's been raining for the past two days, so we are starting to go a little bit stir crazy here. Yesterday I had Simon's parent-teacher conference in the morning--his teachers said pretty much all good things about him which was very nice. Eli and I ran a bunch of errands and then Ducky came over and stayed with Eli while I went to pick up Simon at school. Ducky had lunch with us and played baseball with Simon for a little while in "the field" which is what he calls the living room. He's getting really good at actually connecting with the ball. I'm sure something will break soon. After Ducky left, Eli took a nap and Simon watched his Hot Wheels movie. I thought he was going to fall asleep on the couch but he didn't. When Eli woke up, we set up the Thomas tent and pretended that we were going on a train ride. Simon took everything off his bed and said "I am putting the luggage in the train, ok Station Man?" Apparently I was the station man.
Today it was still raining and we had no plans. David got up early with the kids and then he and Simon came upstairs around 8:30 after Eli went for his nap. Simon and I read books and David went back to sleep. Simon and I went downstairs and played with his airport set for a long time until he suddenly asked if it was time for lunch. It was not quite 11:00, but he was really hungry so he ate some turkey and made a huge mess on the table with 2 cups of water. He was pouring the water back and forth saying "I'm doing it cup to cup" but really he was doing it cup to table and floor. We went into his room to get him some dry clothes and found Eli sitting up in his crib playing with his bears. I have no idea how long he had been awake and I also had no idea that he was capable of going from lying down to sitting up. We went back upstairs and woke up David and then I went back to sleep until almost 3--conveniently after I heard David put the boys in for a nap.
They didn't sleep that long and were both up by 4:30. We went out on the front porch to see if it was still raining (it was) and Simon and David were running around in circles and suddenly Simon yelled "I got the ball...HIKE!" They played imaginary football for a few minutes and then Simon said "actually I want a real football" so then they played with the real football but Eli and I got too cold so we went inside.
Yesterday, I had the following conversation with Simon while we were brushing our teeth:
Simon: I don't want to brush my teeth.
Me: You have to. You know why?
Simon: no, why?
Me: Because otherwise you will get cavities and you will have to go the dentist and the dentist will drill and it will hurt.
Simon: Ok, I will brush my teeth and then there will be no drill and no black plague.
He knows about the Black Plague because the other day he didn't want to put on his underwear and David told him that the black plague started because people didn't wear underwear.

No comments: