Friday, May 25, 2007

Shavous

On Monday night, I had a Barnard dinner to go to, so Pam babysat. When I got home, she told me that shortly before Simon went to bed, the phone rang and he got to it before she did. He picked up the phone and said "hello?" then he listened and then he said "are you my daddy?" then he listened more and then he hung up. Oops. I checked the caller id and it turned out it was the father of the 12 year old that I was giving a ride to Teaneck on Tuesday!
On Tuesday, I somehow managed to get Simon to school relatively close to on time and then Eli and I went home to pack and load up the car. I packed a gigantic suitcase that was almost as big as the bags David took to Israel. The drive down to Teaneck was very uneventful. Eli slept most of the way and Simon watched his Hot Wheels movie twice and we only stopped once for gas and the bathroom.
Simon has been having a great time with Joshua since we got here. He especially loves playing in the basement. Eli has been having fun too and Uncle Jon taught him how to clap. He also has sprouted his 2 front bottom teeth!
Last night we made the mistake of trying to put Simon and Joshua to bed at the same time (the other 2 nights Joshua went to bed first which worked really well)--they talked for a long time and then came out of the room and announced that they couldn't sleep. Jon took Joshua into their room to put him to sleep and I tried to get Simon to go to sleep in his Thomas bed in Joshua's room. He told me that he really needed his flashlight, so we made a deal that he could go get the flashlight but then he had to go right to sleep. He said ok, but when he came back with the flashlight he asked me to rock in the rocking chair with him. I said ok, but then when I said it was time to go to bed he threw a huge fit. He had really not been listening to me and had been generally not well-behaved the whole evening so I had had enough. I yelled at him and told him that he had to go to bed and I was taking away the flashlight. He threw himself on the floor and was hysterical. Finally, I picked him up, shoved the flashlight into his hand and sat down on the rocking chair with him but I refused to talk to him. He immediately turned off the tears and said "ok, I will go to bed now." Yeah, he played me big time.
Yesterday, Jon took Simon and Joshua to shul. Of course Simon wanted to know if there would be herring there and he came home triumphantly holding a piece of herring! He rubbed his tummy and said "herring is my most favoritest in the world."
Today it is 95 degrees outside--I set up the slip n slide for Simon, but he said the water was too cold. Then we went to buy water guns and to buy some candy (including some get better candy for Joshua who is sick today) and we came back and played outside for about 1/2 an hour but it was really too hot. Simon watched his Hot Wheels movie and fell asleep in the middle and is now sleeping on the couch in what looks like a very uncomfortable position!
Jill and Josh are coming for dinner tonight, which will be nice. Hopefully Joshua will be feeling better tomorrow or else we are all in for a very long day!
I didn't bring the camera cord so I will post pictures when I get home on Monday.

No comments: