Thursday, August 16, 2007

Birthday Festivities Begin











Tomorrow is Eli's first birthday! He had a birthday party at Becky's today, which I went to and it was so cute. Becky had him sit in a little chair with a balloon tied to it (it was the 3rd balloon because he popped the first two) and each other kid (he is the youngest, so the others are all almost 2, 2 and 3) took turns presenting him with the cards that they made. Then Becky brought out the cake and everyone sang Happy Birthday in Hebrew and in English. Eli grabbed for the cake, of course, and then stood at the little table holding on with one hand and shoveling his piece of cake in his mouth with the other. The expression on his face never changed the whole time that Becky brought out more food and he just kept helping himself to watermelon, bamba, rice cakes, etc. It was really cute--he looked like such a big boy! He also had to wear a flower wreath on his head that is apparently some sort of Israeli tradition. Becky said in Mexico (where she is from) the birthday kid wears a crown like in the States which seems much more normal to me, but he did look awfully cute in the wreath! Becky also gave him the best birthday present ever--a ball pit tent. She has one at her house and he loves it so she wanted him to have his own since he sadly won't be at her house anymore beginning in September. When we got home and set it up, Eli was thrilled. He and Simon both had a great time playing in it and now we finally have something to put in our front hall!
After the birthday party, I left the kids at Becky's and went to run a couple of errands and then David and I met Judah and Karen for a quick lunch at Cup o'Joe and then I went back to pick up the kids.
We came home and played in the ball tent for a little bit and then Arica, Danya and Jordy came over and we all went swimming. The kids played really well together and Danya was a great babysitter for Eli in the pool. Eventually Simon declared "I want to go home" which actually meant that he wanted swimming time to be over so that he could have a popsicle before going home. He said to me "I will get a popsicle and you will get ice cream and then we'll switch all. Will that be a good idea?" In the end, he chose lemon popsicles for both of us (I shared mine with Eli--don't think he got left out!) with some weird jelly thing in the middle. I don't think we'll be getting those again.
We came home and I gave the kids dinner and had them in the bath when David got home. Eli was asleep before 7 and I let Simon play Hot Wheels games while I did my homework. There a few games that he can play totally on his own--he even knows where to click to restart it when it finishes.

No comments: