Sunday, March 09, 2008

Rockin' It at Azi's Bar-Mitzvah

This past weekend was our cousin Azi's Bar-Mitzvah in Alon Shvut. The weekend was amazing--good food, good company, good times.
Simon and Eli had so much fun playing with all of the cousins. Simon told me that he does know all of their names, but then he wouldn't tell me any of them so I'm not sure that he actually does. I thought it was interesting that he spent a lot of time with Razia, Kayla and Moriah--who are all girls a couple of years older than he is. But he did also play with the boys too. Eli just loved running around everywhere and playing with whoever would pay attention to him at any given time.
Seth Gerson told me that he had the following conversation with Simon outside of shul (Seth knows David, but he didn't know who Simon was):
Seth: Do you speak English or Hebrew?
Simon: I speak both, but more English
Seth: What is your name?
Simon: Simon
Seth: Do you live here?
Simon: I live in Israel, but I'm from Boston
Seth: Oh, are you one of the Shlackmans?
Simon: No.
Seth: But are you here for the Bar-Mitzvah?
Simon: yeah, I'm related.
Then Seth figured out who he was--how funny is that conversation?
We accidentally left Eli's bear in the car before Shabbos, so he didn't sleep very well Friday night. The only good thing about that was that he went very happily to take a nap on Shabbos afternoon. We also told Simon that he had to nap if he wanted to go to the party, so we all got a great nap in the afternoon. After Shabbos, we took Eli back to Rocky and Jeremy's where he stayed with a babysitter and another kid while the rest of us went to the party. Simon had the best time--he danced and danced and danced and danced and danced. It was reminiscent of his performance at Mack's Bar-Mitzvah a few years ago. He totally didn't want to leave, but since we had an hour and a half drive in front of us, we figured by 11:00 that we should head out.
We picked up Eli and made great time on the way home and were home shortly after midnight. I thought the kids would sleep really late this morning and I planned to not wake them but they both woke up around 8. I got them off to school around 9. Eli went right for a nap when we got home and Simon probably should have too because he was SO cranky. He pretty much yelled at me all afternoon.
We had planned to meet Boaz, Oren and Mika in the park at 4:30, but I totally forgot when we made the plans that David would be taking the car to Tel Aviv at 5. So we walked all the way to the park that we had planned to meet at--it's pretty far and involved walking up a gigantic, Rawson Road-sized, hill. I really missed my Baby Jogger double stroller today!! The park was fun--Simon and Boaz, who were both overtired, had a couple of big fights over a monster truck, but for the most part all was good.
After the park, Tali and I decided to take the kids out for dinner. Big mistake--none of them really ate anything except for Simon who ate half a pizza boreka and there were lots of tantrums and crying. Simon only got really happy when he asked me if we could please stop at Glidah Man on the way home. I said ok, and the boys each got a mini-slurpee. Eli spilled his all over within 5 minutes, but he wasn't drinking it anyway so he didn't seem to care. Simon was trying to teach Eli new words all the way home and it was really cute, even if not very successful.

No comments: