Thursday, March 06, 2008

Why Israel Needs AAA







I guess here it would be called IAA, for Israel Automobile Association, but whatever they want to call it, today I really wished they had it! Here's what happened: this morning, Abby and I were going on a quest to buy sneakers because our trainer keeps yelling at us that we have bad sneakers. I offered to pick her up, but for some reason she said she would just meet me there which ended up being very fortuitous. We bought our shoes and then went back to our cars to go to Coffee Bean. I put my key in the ignition and NOTHING HAPPENED. I kept trying thinking that I must just be doing something wrong, but clearly I wasn't. Luckily Abby hadn't left the parking lot yet, so basically there were a lot of phone calls to the car dealer, the insurance company, and a repair company for which I will be eternally grateful to Abby and her Hebrew skills because I had no idea what the words for "my car won't start" are in Hebrew! In the end, it wasn't all that bad because the repair guy came within 1/2 an hour and replaced the broken starter (the Hebrew word for which, in case anyone is wondering, is masger or something like that) in about 5 minutes.
Anyway, I rushed from there with my newly-working car to pick up Eli only 15 minutes late. He impressed me with the new word that he learned today: disgusting. Bettina said to him "your dirty diaper is..." and he smiled and said "asguting" or something like that. Then I went to pick up Simon from Boaz's house since I had asked Tali to take him home with her since I didn't know when I was going to be done with the car situation. We ended up staying there for lunch and left when their cleaning lady needed to get into the living room. We came home so Cranky-Pants (AKA Eli) could take a nap and then we went to meet Boaz and Oren in the park. Eli seriously thinks he is almost 4 instead of 1 1/2. He kept chasing after the bigger boys and wanted to do everything that they were doing. They tolerated him for the most part and a fun time was had by all.
We saw David walking home on our way home, so we stopped and picked him up and then came home for dinner and bath. Marcia came to babysit and David and I went to a movie which we haven't done in years, or at least a year. The last movie we saw in the theater was Borat. We saw Juno and loved it!
We've had amazing weather all week--we are having a heat wave and it's great. On Tuesday we went to the park with Debbie, Maya and Orli before Simon's Hebrew class and then we went out for ice cream afterwards. In the car on the way to Audrey's, Simon was telling me a story about something that happened in gan. I didn't hear all of it so I asked him to say it again and he sighed and said "but I just told it to you. I can't say it again. You need to listen."

No comments: