On Thursday night, we put Simon to bed early and David and I actually sat down and ate a nice Shavous dinner together of salmon and really good pasta with shiitake mushrooms and sugar snap peas. Well, at least we tried to put Simon to bed early--it actually took a good hour for David to get him to agree to stay in his bed by himself, at which point I had almost eaten dinner by myself and gone to bed!
On Friday, we went to Grandy and Papu's house for the annual Shavous kiddush. Simon had a good time as long as he was with Grandy. If she was out of his sight for even a minute, he started screaming "I WANT DUCKY. ONLY DUCKY." We hung out for a while after the kiddush and Simon impressed Mama and Judy with his vast knowledge of different kinds of trucks ("dis cement truck...dis excavator"). He started getting very cranky so we decided to take him home for a nap. It had gotten much cooler and less humid, so the walk home was much more pleasant than the walk there. Simon did not really want to take a nap, but he eventually went to sleep and I woke him up at 6. He ate a decently good dinner and had a bath and was in his pj's by the time Charles and Jen and Sara and Andrew came for dinner. Simon had woken up from his nap in a terrible mood and even when I told him that Chucky was coming over, he responded with "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO." But, when Chucky actually got here, Simon was very happy to see him and Jen too. He sat at the table with us for a little while and then mostly played nicely by himself in the den until David put him to bed around 9. This time David was allowed to leave because he told Simon that he was going to check on Mommy. Simon had asked "Mommy in kitchen? Mommy washing dishes?" so David said he had to make sure I was doing a good job.
Simon slept until sometime after 8 this morning. I went to get him around 8:30 and he was standing very still right by his door holding BrrrBrrr. We ate grapes and cheerios for breakfast and then made a very elaborate train track configuration and played with trains for a long time. Then, Simon heard Sophia's dad in the hallway and he ran to the door shouting "I want see it Sophia!" So we opened the door and he played with Sophia for a few minutes and she gave him a little purple ball and a little purple frog from her birthday party that we missed. We went to wake up David and show him what Simon got from Sophia.
Despite the pouring rain, we decided to get dressed and make the long trek to Grandy and Papu's house one more time. It wasn't raining that hard during our walk, so it wasn't so bad. Simon was of course thrilled to see Grandy and couldn't really care less about Mama and Judy. At least he didn't cry at all when he saw them. Uncle Alan and Aunt Kathy came for lunch too. Simon wolfed down 2 pieces of gefilte fish and then went to play, begging Grandy to come play with him.
I took him upstairs to take a nap around 2 and was very unsuccessful at getting him to go to sleep. We were lying down together and he just wanted to play and sing songs. Turns out he knows all of the words to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and sang the whole thing with no prompting from me. I kept turning to face away from him, hoping that if I ignored him he would go to sleep. He would be quiet for a few minutes and then would jump on me and say "wake up now Mommy!" Finally I told him very sternly that I was going to sleep and he had to go to sleep too. He put on his pouty-defeated face and lay down. I stayed facing the other way, but kept peeking over my shoulder and saw that he was sitting up and and moving his hands while singing "the wheels on the bus go round and round." Eventually he lay down again and was still singing quietly when David came in. David took him to sleep in the other room so I actually got a good nap and I guess David got Simon to go to sleep somehow because they were both sleeping when I woke up.
When they got up, Simon ate a great dinner of leftover chicken and squash and some tomatoes and grapes too. Then he played with trucks and cars and balls and he played darts in the basement with Papu. After Shabbos was over, I went outside to fold up the stroller to put it in the car. Simon came with me and I was having a really hard time folding up the stroller. I asked him to go get David and tell him that I needed help. David never came, but I managed to fold up the stroller and then I went and asked David if Simon told him that I needed help. He said that Simon told him that I threw up and he didn't believe him. I couldn't figure out why Simon would have said that and then Simon said to me "you folded up?" He had actually said the same thing to David but "folded up" and "throwed up" sound kind of similar!
Papu gave us a ride home and Simon went right to bed. Tomorrow we are brining Mama and Judy with us to music class.
Brace Face
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment