Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Children's Museum and More

On Sunday, Simon and I went on a date to the Children's Museum. We met Shira, Dave and Elan there. I love that museum--we joined it along with the Galpers (for this membership, Dave and I are married, as opposed to our joint Aquarium membership that is in the names of Mr. David Galper and Mr. David Kirschenbaum, the lovely gay couple). Simon had a great time playing with the trains and pretending to drive and playing with bubbles. I had a hard time getting out of the driveway on the way to the museum because I had to back out around David's car. At the Museum, when Simon was pretending to drive a car, he kept turning the wheel and then looking behind him and turning it again. I asked him what he was doing and he said "how are we going to get out of this driveway?" Yes, he was making fun of me. Here is a picture of Simon and Elan playing nicely:














And here is another one taken a minute later when Elan wanted to take the steering wheel that Simon was using:
Don't feel bad for Elan even though it looks like Simon is attacking him. That kid is tough and can fight back! They did mostly get along and at one point, Elan went to play somewhere out of Simon's sight and Simon said to me very concerned "I don't see Elan" and we had to go find him and make sure he was ok.
We spent most of our time in the great playspace at the Museum, but once that got old, we went to see what else we could find to play with. Simon loved the room with all the bubbles--I remember also really loving that when I was little. My other favorite part of the Museum was going in the manhole (you'd think being claustrophobic, I really wouldn't like that so maybe I am remembering wrong), but I think Simon will have to wait until he is a little bit older to try that.
Here is video of Simon making a big big big bubble:

As we were driving to the Museum, Simon impressed me with his sense of direction. As we passed Andrew's building, he said "look, there is Andrew's house!" And as we approached St. Mary's Street, he said "that is where we turn for art class." And finally, somewhere on Storrow Drive he said "is this the way to the airport?" That's not actually the way we go to the airport, but I think he must have seen a sign with an airplane picture on it and that's why he said that.

Yesterday, Simon was an absolute angel. Eli had a doctor's appointment in the morning (he weighs 12lb 8oz and is 23.9 inches) and he had 4 shots. He was pretty miserable in the afternoon and he was screaming bloody murder during music class. I had to take him out, but Simon really didn't want to stay in the hallway with me, so I asked the teacher if he could stay in by himself and she said sure. He was SO good, but I felt so bad for him and for Eli too who was obviously very unhappy. When we got home, Eli was still crying and Simon ran to get him a pacifier and he said "here, this will make him feel better." Simon played so nicely by himself while I fed Eli who had finally calmed down enough to eat and then fell asleep. Then Simon went very willingly to take a nap and he slept from 3 until 6. Eli slept and ate for all of that time too and then was in a better mood by the time David got home.
This morning for the first time in a really long time, Simon wanted nothing to do with me and only wanted David. David was very happy about that because for so long Simon was telling him that he likes me better, but I was pretty sad. Ducky came with me to pick up Simon from school and surprisingly he ran right past her to give Eli a kiss. She came with us to art class which was fun for Simon. When we got home, both kids threw huge temper tantrums at the same time. Eli was just mad in general and Simon was mad because I couldn't build his blue train tracks because I had to deal with Eli. It was like they were trying to out-scream each other and they really look identical when they are crying. Too bad I didn't get any pictures.

1 comment:

Arica said...

Does the museum promote gay membership?