




On Friday, Simon didn't have school and Silvia got sick and had to cancel their playdate. There was definitely potential for a disastrous day for me and the boys home alone all day, but we had a great time. Simon was on his best behavior and he was happy to play by himself or with me or with Eli. He was very sweet with Eli and went upstairs to get Eli's BrrrBrrr for him and then gave him his BrrrBrrr to hold as well. Eli went to sleep around noon, so Simon and I made pizza for lunch and while it was cooking we made 2 salad dressings for Shabbos and Simon learned how to emulsify something in the food processor. He tasted the dressings and didn't like either one because, he informed me with his face all scrunched up, "I don't like mustard."
Eli was still sleeping at 1, so I really wanted to get Simon in for a nap before he woke up. Of course, Simon was not having any of that, so by the time I got him to get into bed it was 1:45...luckily Eli didn't wake up until 1:50. Simon slept until after Shabbos started already. And then he played for a while and then we all ate dinner together. Eli was exhausted and good barely keep his eyes open so he had his bath and was in bed by 7:15. And thus began his worst night of sleeping that I can remember. Both kids have colds and Eli was really congested when he went to sleep, so he woke up at 10 and David tried to get thim to go back to sleep for an hour. Finally, I fed him in bed at 11 so that he would go to sleep, he did fall asleep but then woke up at 2, so I fed him again and then he slept fitfully and kept waking up because he couldn't breathe until 4:30 when David took him downstairs. David came back up within 5 minutes and said that our Shabbos goy son Eli turned on the swing and turned off the light in the living room and fell asleep within seconds of getting in the swing. As long as he was upright he slept fine and he slept there until 9. I know I said I wasn't going to post anything about his sleeping anymore, but if he's not sleeping then there is really nothing to jinx.
Charles and Jen and Tovah and Moshe came for lunch. Simon was happy to see Chucky and Jen and he immediately said to Tovah and Moshe "what's your names?" He was pretty hyper because he was overtired so he hardly ate anything for lunch and mostly just ran around. He was playing with the little Thomas set that Jill and Josh had gotten for him. When he took it out, he said to me "look Mommy, Jill and Josh got this for me." Impressive that he remembered where it came from. Simon got a great surprise during lunch when Farrah and Barry and Mara and Nate stopped by. He had never met Mara and Nate, but he quickly impressed them with his knowledge of trains and he had fun with them. When they were getting ready to leave, I pointed to Mara and asked Simon if he knew who she was. He said yes, so I asked what her name is. He said "FARRAH!" Then I pointed to Farrah and asked who she was and he looked a little bit confused and said "Farrah" and then looked as if we had somehow tricked him.
After everyone left, we all took naps. We were supposed to go to New York tonight to see Avi and Danielle's new baby, Emma, but since the kids are sick we didn't go. Hopefully we will see them soon so that Eli can meet his future girlfriend. She's too young for Simon and anyway he has his heart set on Julia, Andrew's little sister. Eli might have to fight it out with Ian Milstein, but I think he'll be able to hold his own.
We all slept until Shabbos was over and then Simon had dinner and then we all watched a few episodes of Thomas until bathtime. David was putting Simon to bed and I was putting Eli to bed, but Simon wanted us to switch. David told him that I'd come down soon so Simon waited patiently in his chair for me. When I finally came down, I went into his room and he said "Mommy, I've been waiting for you. I want you to sing me 2 songs. First Cubbies song." So I sang him Take Me Out to the Ballgame and then we had a whole discussion about crackerjacks and what they are and where you can get them. Then he wanted to know if Tikvah song and Cubbies song were the same. I explained that Tikvah song is in Hebrew and Cubbies song is in English. Then he said "and what song is in Spanish?" I didn't know one which made Simon pretty upset, but then I remembered one from the first music class we took, so I sang it and he thought it was very funny and made me sing it 100 times. Then I said it was time to go to sleep and he said "first please sing Tikvah song then Cubbies song then the funny song" so I did and then he got into bed happily and went to sleep. Eli did not go to sleep as easily and David and I took turns going back up to get him to sleep. He's been sleeping for an hour now so we'll see what happens. We put a thing under his sheet that elevates his head so hopefully he'll be able to sleep better tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment