Monday, December 25, 2006

Lake George








On Friday morning while Simon was at school, I packed and loaded up the car and then went to pick him up early so that we could go pick up David downtown and be on our way to Lake George for the weekend. When I got to school to get him, his class was playing outside. He announced to everyone that he was leaving and he said "we are going to see Uncle Gordo and Tiny Head. They live very far away. At a lake named George. They have a baby."
We made the drive up in about 3 hours and 15 minutes--a full hour shorter than the navigation system estimated. I was driving not David so we weren't even going that fast. Simon immediately made himself at home and was very excited that there was a completely empty room in which he was allowed to play football. We had a very nice relaxing Shabbos with Avi, Danielle, Emma and Lynn. The boys, David and I were all sleeping in one room which was not the total disaster that it could have been. On Friday night, Eli woke up around 4 and cried for about 20 minutes before I realized that he had peed through everything and then I changed him and put him back and he cried for a few more minutes, but long enough and loud enough to wake up Simon who then spent the rest of the night in bed with us. Eli joined us in bed at some point too. I'm glad we don't have a "family bed" on a regular basis because while those boys are small they seem to take up an awful lot of room!
After Shabbos, everyone except for Eli and me went to the mall. Simon got new shoes that he loves and he also got a baseball glove and baseball. Because sometimes he acts like a lefty, David bought him a lefty glove. Avi told Simon to throw the ball to him and Simon took off the glove so that he could throw it with his right hand. Oops, guess he's not a lefty. At midnight, Avi, Danielle, David and I decided to go out for a drive and see the lake, despite the fact that it was freezing. We left Lynn with 3 sleeping children and were gone for about 45 minutes. When we got back, Lynn said that in the time that we were gone, all 3 kids woke up. Simon was coughing and threw up a little bit and was crying so she went to get him and brought him upstairs for some water. Eli woke up from all that activity and was talking to himself. I was hoping he'd go back to sleep but then he started to cry so I took him out so that he wouldn't wake up Simon. He had peed through everything again so I changed him and he was wide awake and did not seem like he was going to go to sleep at all. I stayed up with him from 1:30 until almost 4. Around 3, I caved in and fed him and he fell asleep but woke up and cried everytime I put him down. At 3:45 I woke up David and asked him to deal with Eli. He got him to go to sleep a little bit after 4 and then both kids slept until a little before 9 so that was nice at least. Once everyone was up and dressed, we went back to the lake to take some pictures and had hot chocolate at the Sagamore, which is a really pretty hotel. Then we went back to the house and barbecued for lunch and then we left for home.
We made the drive home in record time as well and went straight to my parents' to have dinner with them, Lynne, Barry, Mack and Ethan and Sarah, Jon and Joshua who had come in for the day. Simon and Joshua were thrilled to see each other and they had fun playing Hungry Hungry Hippos with Mack and Ethan. I really wanted to get a good picture of Simon, Eli and Joshua, so I told them that Grandy/Ducky would give them a present if they got on the couch for a picture. Simon and Joshua immediately dropped what they were doing and got on the couch saying "presents presents!" Unfortunately, Ducky didn't actually have anything to give them and they were a little bit disappointed. I had some candy in my bag so she gave them that and they were ok with it, but when Joshua was leaving my mom was telling him something about next time he comes to visit and he said something along the lines of "and then can I have a real present."
We got home around 8 and had both kids in bed by 9. Eli is wearing 2 diapers in an attempt to contain the pee! As I was putting on the 2nd diaper, he suddenly stopped squirming around and lay very still with 1 finger in his mouth looking at me very inquisitively as if he was saying "um, Mommy, you are an idiot. I am already wearing a diaper..." After Simon was in bed, David heard him yelling something so he went to see what was wrong. Simon said "I need to sing loudly so that I can listen." So David said ok and left. We stood outside Simon's door for a few minutes listening to him sing "I have a little dreidel" and "Sivivon Sov Sov Sov" at the top of his lungs.

1 comment:

Arica said...

Jordy had the same problem with peeing through everything until I realized he just needed the next size diaper. I never tried the double diaper thing though....maybe that would have worked too?