Thursday, August 03, 2006

"Mommy, I married you!"

Simon had a rough morning this morning because I made the mistake of adding a tiny bit of water to his apple juice because there wasn't a lot of apple juice left and I thought he might want more to drink. He threw a huge fit and we were running really late and really had to leave. I tried to pick him up and just walk out the door but he was struggling so much that I had to put him down. He ran away from me and stood in the doorway between the kitchen and the dining room. I told him I was leaving and I opened the back door and started to go out. He just froze looking at me as if he couldn't believe that I was really going to leave him (not sure whether he thought it would be good to be home alone all day or not) and then he ran over to me screaming "I need Mommy!!" I picked him up and carried him to the car and put him in his carseat, all the while he was crying very over-dramatically and not saying anything. As I was backing out of the driveway, I asked him if he was mad at me and he nodded his head and said "yes" without looking at me. I told him I was sorry and promised him that there was hardly any water in his juice and it was mostly juice and I asked him if he wanted it. He nodded again, so I gave it to him and he drank it and was suddenly very happy.
When we got to Yaya's house, it was so late that they were all in the kitchen eating breakfast. Simon ran right in and over to his seat and started to eat the cheerios that Pam gave him. He wanted milk like the other kids, so Pam told him to finish his juice first and give me the cup to take home. He drank it all practically in one sip (he is usually the slowest drinker ever) and handed the cup over.
Tonight, David was giving Simon a bath and I heard Simon calling me, so I went to see what he wanted. He held up his hand and said "Mommy, I married you!" and showed me that he was wearing David's wedding ring. He was very carefully holding one finger up and out of the water the whole time. Apparently that didn't last very long because I left the room and then heard David saying to Simon, "where is my ring? did you put my ring in here? did you put my ring in there? DID YOU EAT MY RING? can you help me look for my ring so Mommy doesn't kill us?" They did find it eventually.

No comments: