Thursday, September 14, 2006

Art Class

We've been very busy for the past couple of days. On Tuesday, I had to pick up Simon from school at 9:30 because he had a fever (of less than 100 degrees, which is not even really a fever). Not only did he have to come home, but the rule is he can't go back until 24 hours fever-free, which mean that no matter what he was going to be home all day on Wednesday. This was especially disappointing to me because yesterday was supposed to be his first day of staying until 4 and I was really looking forward to that. He wasn't acting sick at all other than a tiny bit cranky, so we decided to go to art class on Tuesday afternoon anyway. It was great! It's basically an hour or so of free time to do one of 4 art activities that change each week. Simon painted, made a collage with sand and tissue paper and shells, played with shaving cream and played with clay. Then they all bake cookies and while the cookies are baking, there is a sing-along. Simon got to stand up in front of everyone and sing the ABC's. A little tiny girl sang all of God Bless America.
When we got home, Ducky had taken Eli for a walk and I was actually able to get Simon to take a nap. He slept from 3 until almost 6. Eli slept for enough of that time that I was able to make a real dinner which was ready when David got home. Unfortunately, I slightly overcooked the meat and Simon couldn't eat it. It took him 10 minutes to chew up one little piece, so he had cereal for dinner, but he didn't seem to mind.
I was really nervous about how yesterday was going to go having both kids for the entire day, but it was totally fine. We watched tv in bed until about 9 and then Eli was sleeping and Simon and I played with trains and trucks. When Eli woke up and we all got dressed, it was already almost 11 and we walked to Coolidge Corner. We played at Magic Beans for a little bit--there were no other kids in the playspace when we first got there and Simon said "wow, everybody here!" I think he meant to say "nobody" and not "everybody." Some other kids came while we were there including a 5 month old baby about whom Simon said "he looks like my baby brudder!" He actually looked like he could eat Simon's baby brudder for a snack, but he was cute and Simon gave him a kiss.
Simon really didn't want to leave, so the only way I could get him out was to show him the Thomas sippy cups that they had and to buy him one. We stopped at CVS to buy some chocolate milk to put in the sippy cup and then walked home, which took twice as long as walking there because it is mostly uphill. When we got home, we waited outside for Ducky who was coming for lunch. She stayed for a long time and put Simon in for his nap. For some unknown reason she actually agreed to let him nap with his shoes on. He ended up sleeping until after 6pm, so maybe the shoes is the trick. I went to wake him up and he was sleeping soundly with his shoes on his pillow and his head on his blanket. When he opened his eyes, I said "did you sleep with your shoes on?" He sat up, gave me a huge smile and said "yes I did. That is funny!" Then he helped David make dinner and we all ate together for the first time in a long time.
This morning, David had to leave early. Simon woke up at 6:30 and wanted to play, so we played for a while and then I took him to school. He was totally fine until we pulled into the parking lot and then he said "I don't want to go to school." He cried all the way to his classroom and was still crying when I left. Hopefully he is ok--he's supposed to stay until 4 today so hopefully he will get happier!

No comments: