Thursday, September 28, 2006

Hoarding Water

This morning Simon had a slight regression and cried when David brought him to school. He must have stopped as soon as David left because when he looked in the window on his way out Simon was happily sitting at a table and coloring. When I picked him up, Megan told me that they read the book "Teeth are not for Biting" in circle time today. She also said that Simon didn't try to bite anyone today. That is a good sign because I would have thought today of all days he'd bite a lot because he was so tired from being up late at the Red Sox game.
We went from school to Griggs Park to play for a little bit. Simon really wanted a drink from the water fountain on our way out. So he had a drink and then we started walking out and then he decided that he really needed another drink so we went back. He filled his mouth up with water and didn't swallow it. I kept asking him if he was going to swallow it and he kept shaking his head. He kept it in his mouth the entire ride home, while he walked up the driveway and into the front door, and while he got settled on the couch and I turned on Thomas for him to watch. During all that time I kept asking him questions and he would either nod or shake his head and if I asked a non yes or no question he would just say "mmmmmmm." He knew he was being funny and it was very cute. He finally swallowed the water when I took his shoes off and he had to yell at me that he actually wanted his shoes to stay on.
He got progressively crankier as the evening went on so by 7:15 we were already reading stories in preparation for bed. We read 2 books and then I turned off the light and Simon started to cry and said "I don't need songs. Want to read more books." I said no and he cried for a few minutes and kept telling me not to talk (even though I wasn't saying anything at all), not to put my feet on the footstool and not to laugh. Then he asked me to lie in his bed with him. I gave in on that one because I felt bad that he was so upset about not reading more books, but I told him I would only stay for a minute and he said ok. We got into bed and I asked him if he wanted to sing Tikvah song. He said "no just go to sleep." I closed my eyes and he very nicely put his hand on my face and then said "ok, you go now." I gave him a kiss and left and he went to sleep before 8:00!
This was good timing because Eli was just waking up from a very short nap. I gave him a bath--he gave me a huge smile as soon as we walked into the bathroom and then he smiled more when I showed him himself in the mirror. After his bath he ate for about 45 minutes and has now been asleep since around 9. I'm going to shower and go to bed before he wakes up again!

No comments: