Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Visiting Yaya




This morning I realized why Simon was so miserable last night--he has an ear infection and had a ruptured eardrum. He woke up fine and said that his ear didn't hurt anymore, but then I noticed that he had some dried blood in his ear, which can happen when it bursts (I know because this happened to me once and one other time that he had an ear infection Dr. Roth said that could happen. If I didn't know this, I would have totally freaked out that he was bleeding from his ear). He went to school because he seemed to be feeling fine--he cried when David left him but then he had a great day. I called the doctor while he was at school and they said I should bring him in in the afternoon.
I got to school to pick up Simon a little bit early and his class was still playing outside. He didn't see me so I got to spy on him for a few minutes. He was watering the grass with a watering can and then another kid came up to him and handed him a big truck and they started playing together. Very cute. Before we left, he ran around the gazebo with Andrew and Zachary for a while, which meant that we didn't have a lot of time before art class. Simon ate a few bites of a sandwich in the car and then a few more bites while he played in the very cool little park outside the building where art class is. There are parts of a fire engine to climb on and Simon liked it a lot.
Art class was fun again, but it is definitely not as much fun for me to have Eli there as well, although it was better than it could have been. Simon played with soapy water, decorated a flower made out of construction paper and a paper plate, painted some pictures and played with clay. He obviously remembered all the parts of art class because he asked me "is it cookie time yet?" and also said that he wanted to sing songs.
After art class, I broke the news to him that we were going to the doctor. He said he didn't want to go, but then was ok with it when I told him that he was going to get medicine (he loves medicine) to make his ear feel better. He didn't cry at all and was very friendly to Dr. Rotter, who he saw because Dr. Roth is on vacation. He cooperated the whole time and while she was looking in his ear and he didn't like it, he scrunched up his face and then held out his hand and said to me "you hold my hand please." Dr. Rotter offered to get him a cookie and he said "I don't need a cookie." He wanted a lollipop but they didn't have any. I told him he could pick out a treat at Walgreens when we went to pick up his medicine.
We went to Walgreens and he picked out a red race car that he played with while we waited for his prescription to be ready. Since we were around the corner from Yaya's house and it was too late to come home and nap, we decided to go visit. At first Simon said he didn't want to go, but I explained that I was going to stay there with him and that I wanted to see Yaya. He walked in and the kids were all just waking up from naps, so just Yaya was sitting in the playroom holding a baby that we didn't know. Simon walked in and said "Hi Yaya. Who is that?" He settled in immediately playing with his favorite toys. At one point he asked Pam "where is my chugga-choo-choo?" She said she didn't know because since he left no one plays with the trains and trucks anymore. Too many girls there I guess. We stayed for almost 2 hours and Simon played outside and rode bikes. He had a good time with his friends but refused to give anyone hugs and kisses goodbye. We're going to go back on Monday for Yaya's birthday celebration.
On the way home, I told Simon that my friend Matt was going to come over. Simon said "no, MY friend Matt is coming over." But then he wasn't even all that friendly to Matt. He did go to bed with hardly any argument which was very nice. Eli just slept for the past 4 hours and I really wish I had gone to sleep! David woke him up to put on his pj's so hopefully I will be able to feed him and he'll go right back to sleep because I am exhausted.

1 comment:

Arica said...

Oh no! That sounds so painful! I hope Simon is feeling better!