Monday, September 04, 2006

Boring Shabbos




Friday was Simon's last day at Yaya's house. He was the last kid there when I picked him up, which was better for me because that way I didn't have to see him say goodbye to his friends for the last time. They gave him a photo album with pictures from the past year and also a wooden letter "S." Simon told me that he got his letter because it was his last day. I don't think he knows what "last day" means because twice on Saturday he asked me if he was going to Yaya's house. I think we will go visit one afternoon this week.
Charles and Jen came for dinner Friday night and brought all the food. Eli cooperated and slept in his crib for 2 hours while we ate dinner. I had to move him when it was time for Simon to go to bed but I think he would have slept for a lot longer if I had left him alone.
We had a pretty boring day on Saturday--the weather was gross so we didn't leave the house. David and I took turns playing with Simon and napping when Eli napped. All 4 of us slept for a couple of hours in the afternoon, which was very nice. I know Simon said a bunch of really funny things yesterday but I can't remember any of them right now.
This morning, when Simon woke up, David took him to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast while Eli and I slept in a little bit. When they got home, Simon brought my chocolate donut upstairs to me and we shared it. Then Simon watched Thomas while I showered and got dressed and then was ready to take him to Toys R Us to get him a backpack and lunch box for school. He didn't want to go until Thomas was over. When he was finally ready, we went. Simon kept telling me to drive carefully because otherwise "car slips down the tree and gets hurt." I'm not exactly sure what that means but it sounds bad. We got to Toys R Us and found the backpacks, but there weren't any Thomas ones. I told Simon that I was sorry they didn't have any and he said "it's ok, I get Dora packpack." I vetoed that plan because I don't want him to have a pink backpack. We went to check out the Thomas stuff to see if they had a big Murdoch that Simon has been asking for. They didn't, so he picked out Oliver (whose name he kept forgetting and he kept asking me "what this green engine's name?") and an engine washing station. We went to Target to check out the backpack situation there. Turns out that all the people who moved to this city on September 1 and created tons of traffic all went to Target today. It was very crowded, but we did manage to find a Thomas backpack and a battery-powered Henry that Simon was very excited about. Simon was very well-behaved for these errands and we had a great time singing songs in the car.
When we got home, Simon ate a tiny bit of lunch and mostly played with his new trains at the kitchen table. Then he took an unsuccessful nap. When he woke up and I went to get him, I asked him if he slept at all and he said "not very well." We lay in his bed for a few minutes playing with Henry. Simon has learned a lot of train terminology from watching Thomas because he told me "look, Henry is coupled" because he was attached to his coal car. He used to just say "attached."
Simon and David went to the supermarket and then Ducky and Papu came over for a few minutes. Simon didn't throw a huge fit when they left and actually sat at the table and ate a decent dinner. Then David gave him a bath and put him to bed. It seems that the trick to getting him to go to bed more easily is for David to put him to bed and not me. Or maybe it was just that he was so tired from not napping.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a nice day so we can do something fun outside.

No comments: