Sunday, June 10, 2007

Barbecue, Swan Boats and Shabbos





On Thursday morning, David and Eli left at 6am to fly to Chicago. Unfortunately, Simon woke up then and wanted to be up for the day. I was holding him and I told him that we were going to go upstairs and cuddle in my bed and watch tv. He said "ok, but not too close because I don't like your breath."
Thursday was Simon's official last day of school even though next week he is going to vacation programming there from Monday-Thursday. He had to say goodbye to his teacher Dana (who we will see in Israel at the end of August) and to some of his friends who aren't going to be there next week. There was a fun barbecue at school on Thursday evening. Simon and I went while David and Eli were on their way home from Chicago. Simon wolfed down 2 hotdogs and then went with Andrew to play in the playground. I went to watch them so that Hillary and Doug could finish eating. They wanted to take the cars and bikes they were driving out of the gated playground area, but I said they couldn't. Andrew wanted to know why not, so I said because they had to stay in the playground. He said "what will happen if someone doesn't listen?" I thought putting it in the hypothetical was pretty smart of him!
When we got home, Barbara was waiting for us and she babysat for Simon so that I could go out with some friends from work (we went to trivia night at some bar in Cambridge that was really fun--I don't know why we've never done that before--too bad we are leaving or I would totally want to go more often!). David and Eli got home before I did and Eli went straight to bed in his clothes. They had a good trip to Chicago to see Gramma Sarah and David showed Eli his old house and all his favorite places in Chicago. He said Eli remained mostly unimpressed.
On Friday, Simon went with David to the airport to change our tickets for Israel since we canceled the Boston-New York part for David. He and Eli are going to drive to NY on Friday and Simon and I are going to fly. Hopefully splitting up like this will allow us to actually get all of our luggage to New York. Simon loves the airport so that was fun for him and it allowed me to get some packing done since Eli went to Yaya's house.
After the airport, David dropped Simon off at Ducky and Papu's and Ducky took him to the Swan Boats. He had a great time and she got him a stuffed swan and a hat and he picked out a little duck for Eli too. When he got home, we hung out for a little bit and then I took him to the park to meet Andrew. Simon brought a baseball bat and a ball to the park and I had taken a glove but he told me he didn't want it, so I ended up not bringing it. Of course when we got to the park he asked for the glove and then cried hysterically for 20 minutes when he realized that I didn't bring it. Once he finally calmed down, he had a great time at the park and played SO nicely with Andrew in the sandbox and even spent some time teaching Julia how to play baseball. The boys were getting along so well that Hillary offered to let me leave Simon there with them when I went to pick up Eli. The Galpers arrived at the park as well so Simon played with Elan a little bit too. Elan held Eli (or Baby Brudder as he still likes to call him) for a few minutes and it was very cute.
At some point during the day, Simon was looking for a football and couldn't find it. I was in the den telling him some places to look, including in the living room and in his room. He was running around trying to find it and eventually he yelled to me "I don't have time for this!"
Last night, Ducky and Papu came over for dinner and today we went to the Isaacs for lunch with the Galpers too. The boys played really well together and Eli cried hysterically every time he was left alone in a room which happened a lot because the bigger boys kept going to play in Zachary's room and Eli felt very left out apparently. He's a little bit over-dramatic if you ask me!
After lunch, we went with the Isaacs to Devotion Park and bumped into my friend Allison who I haven't seen in almost 2 years! She and her daughter Phoebe were in the new mom's class that I went to after Simon was born and then we took music together and hung out all the time the first year or so of Simon and Phoebe's lives until they moved to Maine. They were in town for the day visiting someone and it was so great to bump into them! They might be moving back here so hopefully they will be here by the time we get back from Israel. Simon and Phoebe definitely did not remember each other.
On the way home from the park we stopped at Charles' house to say hi. Simon went to the bathroom there and was looking around at everything in the bathroom and he noticed the toothbrush holder and that there was only one toothbrush in it. He asked David "that is Chucky's toothbrush, but where is Jenny's toothbrush??" She took it with her to DC for the weekend, but it was pretty perceptive of him to notice.
On the way home, Simon fell down and got a little cut on his hand. He then refused to let me hold that hand because "it will hurt my boo-boo." It didn't stop him from running most of the way home. Both kids were exhausted and went right to bed after a quick dinner and shower.

No comments: