Monday, December 28, 2009

The Return of Shaya


There were a few weeks a couple of months ago that Simon had at least 1 if not 2 playdates a week with his friend Shaya. Then Shaya got the flu and was out of commission for a while and then there was Chanukah vacation and so it's been a while since they have played. They have both been asking when they could have a playdate and finally today, at long last, the day arrived. Shaya couldn't come home with us straight from gan because I pick up Simon early on Mondays for occupational therapy but he met us at home after. Simon wanted to wait outside for him because he was so excited. I wanted to wait inside so that I could warn Sarah who was babysitting that there was going to be an extra kid. We went inside but Sarah and Eli weren't here. Both of their bags were here, so I knew they had been home already but I wasn't sure where they would have gone without waiting for Simon. I went into my room for a second and the window was open and I could hear Eli outside--he was riding his bike in the courtyard of the shul. They came back after a few minutes but I was glad they had gone because Eli has been asking every day to ride his bike but he always asks at the most inconvenient times and I can never say yes!
Anyway, Shaya eventually arrived and Simon and Shaya were SO excited to be playing together. While they were playing, I took Eli to a make-up Playball class. We picked up Uri on the way and they were so excited in the car, but then when we got there, Eli suddenly got all shy. I think he was confused because it was different kids than are in his usual class because it was a make-up class. He has the real one tomorrow so hopefully he won't be as confused. He had fun anyway. We drove Uri home and when we got to his house he had the biggest fit because he wanted to open his door instead of Tali, but the door has a child-lock and doesn't open from the inside. After Tali dragged him away kicking and screaming and drove away Eli started to cry. I asked him what was wrong and he said "I wanted Uri to stay. And Uri wanted to stay too. He was crying because Tali opened the door and he wanted it to be closed so that he could stay with us." How cute?
I was planning to take the kids out for dinner since I was starving and we didn't have any food in the house, but when I got home with Eli, Shaya was still here!! Sarah said Gaby had called and said she was on her way a few minutes before, but by the time he got picked up I decided it was too late to go out to eat. Eli was starting to get a little cranky and I knew it was potential for disaster if we went out. So instead I made tomato soup from a package and grilled cheese sandwiches (challah with shredded cheese grilled in butter in a frying pan) and the kids actually ate a lot.
David came home for a few minutes but then left to go to Tel Aviv. He is usually in charge of bath and bedtime...so the fact that it is just about 9:00 and Simon just got into bed is just what happens when I am left to my own devices!! At least Eli went to bed by 8:15. Simon begged me to watch the end of the Diego movie that he and Eli had been watching before their bath, so I let him, but I made him wear headphones because I didn't want Eli to hear what he was doing!

No comments: