Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Simon questions my driving



At 5am, we woke up to hear Simon calling very insistently "MILK MILK MILK MILK." He wasn't crying, just clearly very thirsty. David finally got up and brought him some milk. Through the monitor, I heard a very sleepy and relieved little voice say "Tank-Oom." That's how Simon says "thank you"--it's kind of a combination of thank you and your welcome because he used to only say "you're welcome" and not thank you at all.
This morning, Simon insisted on wearing his new sunglasses that he got from Uncle Alan and Aunt Kathy. He wore them in the house, in the car on the way to Yaya's house, and even when he got to Yaya's house. He definitely couldn't see anything because they are very dark. He was very excited to show Yaya and Pam his "white boo-loo socks"--yup, one was blue and one was white. He was supposed to wear red socks today (Pam's request) in honor of the Red Sox, but he really wanted to wear the blue and white ones. He compromised and wore a red shirt. When I went to pick him up, they were all watching the Red Sox game and cheering because the Red Sox were winning. In the car, I asked Simon what he did at Yaya's house and he said "I dance and I watch baseball." I asked who was playing and he said "Red Sox." Then I asked who likes the Red Sox and he said "Pam and Doki" (Doki is his friend Hiroki). I said who does Simon like and he said "I like Red Sox too." I told him he better tell Dada that he likes the Cubbies, not the Red Sox and he said "ok Cubbies."
We went from Yaya's to Coolidge Corner to buy him some clothes for Passover. I was turning from Harvard Street into the little alleyway that goes to the parking lot--it is pretty narrow and Simon said in a very concerned voice "Mommy, car fit 'dere?" I assured him that it would fit and it did, but he was a little bit nervous. Clearly someone told him that I'm not the best at judging spatial relationships! We went to the Children's Place and the Gap and he picked out some new clothes. Then we went home and Grandy came over to bring us some leftovers in exchange for a bagel and cream cheese. She and Simon played with his cars and his trains and then she left while he was eating dinner.
After his bath, Simon turned on one of his musical toys in his room, picked up a musical instrument, handed me a fork from his bbq set and instructed me to "dance!" He was hilarious dancing all over the place. First I was dancing sitting down, but then he told me to "stam up!" so I had to. I wasn't sure that he was going to go to bed so easily because we were playing our game where he says "no no no" in a sing-song and I repeat him and then he says "yes yes yes" and I repeat him and then I say "la la la" and he repeats me, etc. He starting saying "no n'night" no matter what I said. To my surprise, after 3 books and just one rendition of Baby Beluga, he said "in cribby" and went to sleep.

No comments: