Monday, October 30, 2006

He did it!




On Thursday night, I put Eli to bed at 9:30 and went to bed myself around 10. I woke up at some point and realized that I hadn't heard from him yet. As I turned over to look at the clock, I was thinking that it was probably only midnight or maybe 1AM. To my delight it was 3AM! Next thing I knew Eli was crying and it was FIVE AM!! He slept straight from 9:30-5:00. Of course, he hasn't done it again since then, but it was very gratifying to know that he is capable of sleeping so long. So Friday was the first day in a long time that I didn't spend in a fog of exhaustion. I even walked to Simon's school to pick him up at noon. It only took 15 minutes and I should probably do it more often before it gets way too cold.
Farrah and Barry came for dinner Friday night and they brought all the food, which was so nice. Simon was being crazy and didn't go to sleep until after 9. Eli went to sleep at 10:30 and slept until 3:30--not as good as the night before, but certainly better than him waking up at 1. Simon didn't wake up until almost 9 in the morning. David was up already and Eli and I went back to sleep for a little while. When we were finally all up and ready, we went to shul in the POURING rain and heavy winds for Talia Epstein's Bat Mitzvah. Both kids sat with Ducky and Papu during lunch so David and I actually got to eat and talk to the other people at our table which was very nice. When we got home, David and Simon napped in Simon's room and Eli and I napped upstairs. We all slept until 6:30 when Shabbos was over. At some point during the day, Simon was saying "I love Dada and I love Mommy and I love Baby Brudder." I asked him who else he loves and he said "Farrah and Barry!"
No one told Simon about changing the clocks, so this morning he woke up at 6:30. Luckily, we hadn't changed the clock in our room so David actually thought it was 7:30 and thought that was a reasonable time for him to get up and didn't make me get up with Simon even though it was really my turn. When they came to wake me, Simon was wearing a football helmet which he wore for most of the morning. He took it off when he and I went to Target and Carters to buy some things. I wanted to get some warm pj's for Simon but he really didn't want any. Then I wanted to get a sweater for David since I accidentally shrank one of his, but Simon didn't like any of them and told me that David wouldn't like them either. I think he was probably right. Simon did want to buy a little Thomas and some tracks, so we did that because he was being so good. He yawned all the way home so I thought he would surely eat lunch and take a nap, but the nap was not to be. His no-napping habit is getting really annoying.
After his non-nap and after the football game, we went to Julian's halloween party. We weren't going to go since we don't actually celebrate Halloween, but we figured that Simon has no idea what Halloween is and he will just have fun playing with Julian and other kids and eating candy. We did bring his Thomas costume from Purim, but he refused to wear it anyway. He had a great time--Julian has great toys and a fantastic basement playroom.
Simon was so exhausted when we got home but he managed to not have a meltdown until after dinner and a bath. I was about to put him to bed when suddenly he insisted that he NEEDED to have the gummy fish that was in the goody-bag from Julian's party. I said he couldn't have it because it was bedtime and he could have it tomorrow. He cried and cried. I sat in his chair and tried to calm him down and the only thing that worked was when I started making up words and talking jibberish. He thought that was hilarious and it cheered him up right away. After we read books and sang a couple of songs Simon said "you carry me to my bed now because I am so very tired."

No comments: