Monday, March 20, 2006

Cooking Borscht


It was another busy weekend for Simon. On Shabbos morning, David and Simon came to wake me up and the 3 of us were lying in bed for a little while. We told Simon it was time to go to sleep, so he lay down under the covers, clasped his hands as if he was praying and said "good night." I think he might have learned to pray before bed at daycare. He and David went to shul with the hopes of seeing Chucky, who ended up not being there much to Simon's dismay. Simon's friends Elan and Joshy came for lunch with their parents. Simon calls Joshy "Joshua." I'm not sure if he thinks Joshy is actually his cousin Joshua or if he just gets confused because the names are so similar. He and Joshy played really nicely together--Joshy is a much better sharer than Simon is, but they did pretty well taking turns riding Simon's red motorcycle. Simon also really liked playing with Elan, who he loves. He likes to get down on the floor and crawl around with him and they like to look at the fish together. Simon doesn't even mind when Elan grabs at his face and squeezes. He just laughs! They were all here until almost 4 and then Simon napped from 4 until 6. I wasn't sure that he was going to go to sleep, but he was out within seconds of getting into his crib. Since he woke up so late from his nap, he ended up staying up until almost 9, which meant that he slept until almost 9 this morning. He and I had breakfast together and I asked him if he wanted to go to Target. He said yes so we hurried and got dressed and then we woke up David. Simon got into bed with David and they were watching tv together while I finished getting dressed. Then Simon said that he didn't want to come with me, so I was about to leave and then he yelled after me "I going shopping too!! Me too going!!" So off we went together. Simon was very good at Target. When we pulled into the parking lot, he said "going in red door? sitting in red cart?" He has gotten really good at colors. We did go in the red door and he did sit in a red cart. He saw a little race car that he wanted, so I told him that we would go look in the toy aisle and get a different car. He was very patient while we shopped, but every few minutes he would say "Simon picking different car" just to remind me that we needed to get a car for him. He ended up picking out a little black airplane--I was happy to see that it only cost $1.97 and that he liked that better than the $15 big motorcycle that I thought he was going to want.
After Target we went to Old Navy to return some things. We walked around the store and there were some cute pajamas that I wanted to get for Simon, but he said "no like it" so we didn't get them.
After Old Navy, we came home and on the way I asked Simon what he wanted for lunch. He had obviously been thinking about it already because he immediately answered with a very loud "noodles!!" He watched Thomas while I made noodles with sauce and cheese and then he ate 2 bowls full and then had a fit when I picked him up to take him for a nap. He was crying and crying and saying that he wanted yogurt, which was a total lie since he doesn't even like yogurt anymore anyway. He calmed down once we got into his room and we read 2 books and then he went right to sleep and slept for 3 hours.
When he woke up, I was making borscht for dinner. Simon really wanted to help, so I let him mix the soup in the pot. I asked him what he was doing and he said "I cooking!" I asked what he was cooking and he said "I cooking borscht!" It was very cute. We ate it for dinner and Simon said he didn't like it but then he ate a big bowl of it.
After dinner he had a bath with no bubbles (he doesn't like bubbles anymore) and then we read more books and sang songs and he went to sleep.

No comments: