Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Fun Trip to Vail











Sorry I haven't posted in a few days--we were in Vail with no computer. We had a great time. David had left on Wednesday night and became an expert snowboarder on Thursday and Friday. Simon was an absolute angel on our very long adventure on Friday. I woke him up at 4am and a cab picked us up at 4:15 for our 6am flight to Pittsburgh. The flight was empty so he had his own seat (we had our own row in fact) which made him very happy. The only minor meltdown occurred when we had to turn off the DVD player for landing. We had an hour layover in Pittsburgh and then a flight to Denver. That flight was full, but Simon was pretty much ok with having to sit on my lap. I thought for sure he would fall asleep, and he did, but not until 20 minutes before we landed. Poor kid had to wake up when we landed because I couldn't carry all our stuff and him off of the plane so he had to walk. He was a very good sport. Then we schlepped all across the humongous (and poorly laid out in my opinion) Denver airport to catch the van to Vail. It's about a 2 hour ride and again Simon did not sleep at all, but was SO good. Shortly before we made a pit stop, Simon announced to the whole van "Simon making doody." He also had a conversation in Spanish with 2 guys who didn't speak any English--I have no idea what they talked about but he was definitely interrupting their conversation. The only minor meltdown on that part of the trip happened when the van dropped off the woman sitting in front of us. All of a sudden Simon burst into tears and said "lady leaving." He was very sad because apparently they had become very close. We finally arrived after many hours of traveling. Simon was very happy to see David and he went with David to return his snowboard boots and they went up on the gondola, which Simon loved.
We had a very nice relaxing Shabbos with Avi and Danielle and Avi's uncle Alan. It was a reunion from our trip last year. They all went for a walk on Shabbos morning while I slept in. Simon found a $70 pair of sunglasses that he really wanted and kept telling David "too bright Simon eyes." In the end David agreed to go back after Shabbos and get him a slightly cheaper pair at $12. Simon was so happy with those sunglasses and he loved wearing them the rest of the time. Simon took a really long nap in the afternoon in a big boy bed. He really didn't like the crib there so he took every nap and went to sleep at night in bed. At night, we moved him to the crib before we went to sleep, but he was so cute sleeping in a big huge bed.
On Sunday, everyone went skiing and Simon and I went for a very long walk. First we did some shopping, then we watched the construction that is going on everywhere, then we watched the skiiers, then we walked all the way to Vail Village along a really pretty path. There was lots to do there, including visit a toy store where Simon got 3 new trains. He was very good and picked up a 4th train and I told him that he could only have it if he could tell me the train's name. He didn't know which one it was, so he just sort of shrugged and put it back. He ended up getting Diesel, a blasting cap car (whatever that is) and a fog car that makes noise. He sat on the ground and played with the trains for a long time until I decided it was time to walk back and have lunch and a nap. We planned to meet David, Avi and Danielle at the top of the gondola after his nap, but he ended up sleeping until after they got back from skiing anyway.
On Monday, I was determined to take him up on the gondola so that we could get some pictures. So right after the skiiers left, we put on our bathing suits and took a quick swim. We went in the indoor pool and Simon had a lot of fun. Then we went for a short walk to watch the skiiers for a little bit. Simon joined a line of little tiny ski school students who were practicing using one ski on flat ground. He just got in line behind them and was following them saying "Simon skiing!" He also climbed many small piles of snow and then ran/slid down also saying that he was skiing. He liked skiing, but he did also say at one point "Simon want it snowboard" so I guess he wants to snowboard too.
By 11:15, we were back at the condo eating lunch outside since it was so nice out. I got Simon on video clearly eating a cheese sandwich and telling me he was having a hamburger. He played outside for a while and then seemed amenable to taking a nap. I lay down with him in bed but he wouldn't go to sleep, so finally I said I was going to go in the other room. He said "'bye Mommy" so I thought he would go to sleep. I heard him talking for a while and then it was quiet so I assumed he was sleeping. A few minutes later I heard a little knock on the door. At first I thought it was someone at the door to the condo, but then I heard a little voice say "Mommy?" Simon had gotten out of bed and couldn't get out of the room! I went to let him out and realized that he must have been playing in there for a little while before he knocked because he had taken some stuff out of my bag and had put his sippy cup of orange juice in the suitcase. I lay down with him again and this time he went to sleep and slept until 3:30, which gave us enough time to go up to the top of gondola.
He loved being in the gondola (and the way he says "gondola" is really cute) and had fun at the top too. We took lots of pictures and then went back down. We all took a quick swim in the outdoor pool--Simon did not seem to think it was at all weird that we were swimming outside in the freezing cold and he really didn't want to get out. After swimming, we ate dinner and then headed to the airport. Again, Simon was a trooper on the red-eye flight home. He slept a little bit on the way to the airport, but then was wide awake waiting for the flight and even when we got on. He had his own seat again and played with all of his trucks and was just generally making a lot of noise and not acting at all like he might go to sleep. Luckily he did and slept for the whole flight, which was all of 3 hours. He wasn't too unhappy to be woken up when we landed and he stayed awake until we got home. We got home at 6am and by 6:15 he was out. I tried to wake him at 8 to go to Yaya's house and he was so tired and was just crying and crying and saying "in cribby...please" over and over, so I gave in and he slept until 11:45. Apparently he then ate lunch at Yaya's and then took another very long nap. He also went to bed early tonight so hopefully he will be back to normal tomorrow. Overall, he is just an excellent traveler and we had a great vacation.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention the other really cute thing that Simon did. David calls Danielle "tiny head" (because she has a really small head), so Simon thinks that is her name. He eventually decided that was too long, so he just calls her "Tiny." It's really cute. He didn't like for her to be out of his sight and everytime she would leave the room he would say "TINY...come here!"

No comments: