Monday, July 10, 2006

We Finally Got Henry




Yesterday and today Simon slept until just about 9am. I got up with him this morning and he immediately wanted to go into the den and do puzzles. He's gotten really good at puzzles, but he doesn't usually like to do them so much. After a few minutes, we went into the kitchen to have breakfast. He had raisins (Mama sent them to him, but he thinks that Ducky bought them for him) and cereal. His cereal was a mixture of cheerios and chex because that is what he asked for. We ate a nice breakfast while watching Arthur on tv. When Simon was done, he got down from his chair and told me that he had to get "somefing." I said ok and he went to a drawer and opened it and found the big box of straws. He was talking to himself and saying "I get it blue ones. Blue one for Simon, blue one for Mommy and blue one for Dada." He took out 3 blue straws, one for each of us, and really wanted to go bring David his blue straw. It was already close to 10, so I figured we had let David sleep long enough. Simon very quietly climbed into bed with David and whispered "Hi Dada. I brought you blue straw." It was very sweet.
Eventually, we got dressed and I took Simon to get a haircut. He said he didn't want one, but then he was very brave and didn't cry or protest at all. He sat very still and every few minutes reminded me that he was going to get a lollipop. He picked a watermelon one and ate it very nicely. We came home and picked up David and then we went to Henry Bear's Park toy store to see if we could finally buy Henry. Luckily they had it so we bought that and Simon also got a fire department t-shirt and Mater from the movie Cars. We also bought some baby presents that we still owe people.
From there, we went to Rami's to pick up lunch. It was hot and crowded so we took our food to go. Simon got annoyed when he heard David ordering a felafel plate and he yelled "but I don't want felafel. I want hot dog!!" I reassured him that the felafel was for me and he was getting a hot dog. We brought our food home and settled in to eat on the porch. Simon ate his entire hot dog and a whole lot of pickles and even had 2 of my felafel balls and some tomatoes. Then Yael and Jesse came over and they were eating bagels with tuna. Simon had a few bites of Yael's bagel too. And he had some blueberries and strawberries. That was a huge lunch for him. He played nicely outside for a while and then all hell broke lose when I tried to put him in for a nap. He was clearly overtired and all he would do was lie on the floor next to his door and scream at the top of his lungs. I told him that I was going to leave his room and he screamed harder and told me to sit in the chair. There was no way I was going to sit there and listen to him scream, so I left and closed the door behind me. He screamed louder and opened the door and ran after me screaming "MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY." It was pretty pathetic. I picked him up and went back to his room where he was willing to sit in the rocking chair with me. Then he insisted that I throw his sippy cup of milk on the floor so that he could pick it up and then drink it. After a minute or 2 of rocking, I asked him if he wanted to go in his bed and he said yes. I thought he'd sleep for hours after all of that, but he was up a little over an hour later.
He was in a good enough mood and he went with David to Home Depot and Target (which is still, by the way, out of baby pools). When they got home, we played outside some more and then he helped David make fish for dinner. He mostly helped by drinking teriyaki sauce out of the measuring cup. Yummy.
After dinner and a bath, he ran around naked for a while playing with a kickball and saying "good job Simon!" everytime he kicked it. Then he took Henry (who he actually calls Hengry) and was off to bed.

No comments: