Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Trials and Tribulations of Getting a Passport Photo


Simon and I started out having a very nice day. We ate yogurt for breakfast while watching Caillou and then we went to the granite place to pick countertop for the kitchen. That is where things started to go bad...Simon was ok with looking at all of the granite and he carried the pen that I was using to write down which kinds of granite I liked. Then I had to give the woman working there the piece of paper on which I had written down the granites that I wanted samples of. Well, apparently Simon really needed that piece of paper because he cried and cried with real tears. I tried giving him his own piece of paper, but that made things worse because it didn't have any writing on it. Finally, I let him scribble on the paper and that made him much happier. From there, we went to Grandy and Papu's house and had lunch with them. He was very well-behaved and charming there, of course. He's somehow even charmed them into letting him use the door to the deck that no one else is ever allowed to use (Sarah, if you are reading this, can you believe that???) He's still a bit confused with their names though. He is clear that Papu is Papu, but I pointed to Grandy and asked who that was and he said "Mommy." Then I pointed to myself and said "Who am I?" I guess I slurred those words together because his response was "My!" Then I pointed to him and said "who is this?" and he said "ME!" After lunch, we went home and Simon took an almost 3 hour nap. He woke up and asked for a cookie. I tried every kind of cookie that I could find and he examined each one carefully and gave each one back to me and said "no....cookie." He didn't get frustrated at all, just matter-of-factly rejected each and every kind of cookie until finally I offered him a pretzel and he decided that would be ok. After that, I thought since he was well-rested and happy with his pretzel, it would be a good time to go get passport pictures taken. Boy was I mistaken!! Let's just say it took one hour and five very patient employees of the Ritz Camera Shop. Poor Simon for some reason got so freaked out by having to sit on a high stool by himself and he cried and cried and cried and wrapped his arms around my neck so tightly and wouldn't let go. I tried to reason with him, I tried to bribe him, I tried everything. Nothing worked and they took about a million pictures of him that didn't meet the ridiculous passport requirements (it's virtually impossible to get a toddler to take a picture looking straight at the camera with eyes open and mouth closed!) and finally got one that worked completly by accident! We got home and Simon ate a good dinner and then had a bath--the picture shows what happens when Simon washes his hair by himself! I read him some stories and put him in his crib and he grabbed his bear, blew me a kiss and said "n'night."

No comments: