Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A Busy Long Weekend



I love long weekends! I don't think Simon likes them as much as I do because several times today he looked at me hopefully and said "Yaya house?" I asked him if he wouldn't rather play with me and he just looked kind of resigned and said "ok." At least it was nice of him to try not to hurt my feelings. Let me try to remember things about the whole weekend...on Friday night we had a quiet dinner just the 3 of us and went to bed early. We all slept pretty late--Simon didn't wake us until almost 9, which was quite nice. Simon and I had a nice breakfast together while David slept in. It was pouring rain so we didn't go anywhere all day. Charles and Jen came for lunch and Simon spent some time by the window waiting for them calling "Chunky...Chunky." He was VERY excited to see Charles. Jen, not as much--he ran right by her straight to Charles. Later in the afternoon, Shira, Dave and Elan came over. Simon is very cute with Elan, who is 10 months old. Elan wanted to sit in Simon's spongebob chair, but Simon wasn't so sure that he wanted to share. Shira suggested that Elan sit in Simon's lap. Simon loved that idea. He sat down and put out his arms for Elan. Elan sat down and Simon held on to him tightly and kept saying "hi E-yan!" He also knew his name without us telling him, which I thought was pretty impressive.
On Sunday we took a quick trip to NY for Ellie Minkove's Simchat Bat. It was a very nice affair and nice to see the Riverdale crowd. We also got to see Jill and Josh for a little while. Simon loved showing Josh his trains and I think Josh really liked to play with them. Simon also discovered that he and Jill share the same hat size.
Today, I took Simon to the doctor for his 21 month check up. We walked in the door of the office and he freaked out. He did not stop crying even for one second all through being undressed, being weighed and measured (25 lbs. and 34 inches tall), and Dr. Roth examining him. All of this drama from him and he didn't even get a shot. As soon as I started getting him dressed again he was totally fine. And he even showed off appropriately by handing me his sweater before Dr. Roth left the room and saying "sweater back on." She was very impressed by his sentence. I of course had to tell her that he speaks in 3 word sentences all of the time. I didn't tell her that sometimes those sentences include the f-word. I didn't think she'd be that impressed by that.
After we got home for the doctor, we played for a while and then had just sat down for lunch when Grandy came over. Wow, was Simon happy to see her! She brought him a little truck from Australia that he loves (or maybe I should say "loved" because I haven't seen it since late this afternoon and I'm not sure what he did with it).
He took a 3 1/2 hour nap and woke up in a great mood. We went to Crate and Barrel to look at chairs for our kitchen table and I bought new sheets that I am very excited about. When we got home, David was home. We ate Shabbos leftovers for dinner. Simon ate really well with his fork all by himself. He did insist on having "pink juice" (pink lemonade vitamin water) out of a little tiny shot glass, but he cooperated with my insistence that he eat 2 bites of food before I would refill the shot glass. I love it when he lets me reason with him.

No comments: