Friday, May 12, 2006

Bilingual Simon

Today I learned that Simon is truly bilingual and it's not that he speaks a combination of English and Spanish. When I picked him up from Yaya's, they were just finishing their snack. He ran down the hall to play and I followed him and asked him what he had for snack. He said "goldfish and uvas." I said "goldfish and what?" He said "uvas." I said "what are uvas?" He said "uvas." I said "I don't know what uvas are. What do they look like?" He said "uh...grapes!" I asked Pam what uvas are and she said grapes!!
We went from Yaya's to the butcherie to pick up some things. Simon picked out some cans of Israeli pickles and olives. Then we were looking at the ready-made food trying to decide what to get for dinner. He pointed and said "I want chicken nuggets." I'm always amazed by random things that he knows--we hardly ever have chicken nuggets and I didn't know he knew what they were. We bought a few more things than I planned, so I couldn't hold his hand while walking to the car. He almost ran into the street once, but luckily stopped short when I yelled at him to freeze. The car was only about 5 feet from the door, but a delivery man came and helped me carry everything, which was very nice.
We got home just as David was getting home. We all ate dinner (different things for each of us) together, but I guess Simon was very tired because he spent most of dinner with his head resting on his arms on the table. He did eat 3 chicken nuggets and a few pieces of cucumber. Then David gave him a bath while I went to the Container Store in my never-ending quest to find things to keep toys in to organize the den. I also bought Simon a little step-stool that looks like a panda to help him reach the sink so it will be easier for him to brush his teeth.
I read him some stories and then we sang songs before bed. I asked Simon if he could whisper a secret in my ear, but he obviously didn't know what that meant, so he put his mouth close to my ear and then spit in it.

No comments: