Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Old Orchard Beach








This morning we got up bright and early (ok, David and Simon got up at 8 and I got up at 8:40), packed up the car, picked up Charles and Jen and headed to Maine to Old Orchard Beach. We had a fairly uneventful ride until we were almost there and suddenly Simon threw a huge fit. He was crying and crying and nothing would make him happy. David tried saying calming things like "shhh, no crying" and he would just cry louder and say "YES CRYING." Then, he suddenly just fell asleep. I guess he was tired. He woke up once we got to the beach and was excited to be there. There was a big ferris wheel and he kept saying "ooh, look at that ferris wheel!!"
It was a bit chilly as we walked closer to the water, but the sun burned off the clouds pretty quickly and it got really nice. Simon loved playing near the water, which was freezing. He kept yelling "whoa, big wave coming!!" He also had fun digging in the sand and playing football with David and Charles. Everyonce in a while he would come back to where Jen and I were sitting and say "I playing football" very importantly. After a few hours at the beach, Simon announced "I want ice cream." We were getting ready to leave anyway, so we gathered up our stuff and went to find some ice cream. We got side-tracked by a big merry-go-round (Simon knew what that was which surprised me), so Simon and I got on line to ride it while the others went to put all our stuff in the car. Simon loved the merry-go-round, while I found it quite nauseating. After we were done, we got ice cream and then went back to the car to go home.
Simon was asleep within minutes and slept almost the whole way home. He woke up in time for us to drop off Charles and Jen which did NOT make him happy. He cried the rest of the way home and then continued crying for a good 15 minutes once we got home. I think he was just exhausted and hungry because he was pretty cranky while he watched the same episode of Bob the Builder 12 times and then while he ate dinner and had a bath and when I put him to bed. He was not interested in going to bed and everytime I tried to get stern with him, he would sit very still and pout and then I felt badly. It took a long time, but I finally left him around 8 and he seemed like he was going to go to sleep. I probably should go check just to make sure!

No comments: